News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: SMBs watching economy closely
When it comes to the immediate future, small businesses say they're cautious about how they'll spend marketing dollars. According to a new report out from The Local Corporation 92% of SMBs say they are influenced by the national economy - and 40% say they've thought about cutting back on their marketing spend.
With the economy still sluggish and some worries because of the 2012 Presidential Election, small businesses aren't running into the future. They're walking - and watching the national playing field closely. According to a new survey out from The Local Corporation about 40% of small businesses have considered cutting back on marketing spends.
However, those cutbacks may be toward traditional media. The survey found that 63% are invested in digital marketing and about one-third plan to increase their digital spending heading in to 2013. Along with the economy, businesses worry about creating strong customer relationship. About one-quarter say customer relationship management is one of their biggest challenges moving forward.
Those surveyed are optimistic about the future with more than half saying they will make a long term investment in their business while nearly half (46%) say business development is topping their list. More than half (61%) say they would take a pay cut to ensure their business will survive.
Researchers polled more than 400 small businesses about their marketing decisions between October 12 and 18; all surveyed SMBs had 25 or fewer employees, spent under $75,000 on advertising per year and had annual revenues under $1.5 billion.
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...