News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Retail e-comm tops $41b in Q3
The growth in e-commerce continues. New data out from comScore shows retail e-commerce at $41.9 billion for Q3 2012, that is a 15% increase over 2011 - and the holiday shopping season is just around the corner. Here's how the different categories break down:
The comScore report shows the top category was Digital Content & Subscriptions, followed by Consumer Electronics, Apparel and Accessories and Computer Software. In each case the growth rate was above 15% year over year. Perhaps of more interest is that more than one-third of American shoppers say they've now participated in 'showrooming' - the behavior of using a smartphone while shopping in-store.
In most case these shoppers are comparing prices but in some cases the shopper will buy online while in the store.
"The Q3 growth rate of 15 percent growth remained in line with the prior quarter and provided confirmation of the strength in the e-commerce sector, despite a few negative headwinds in the macroeconomic environment during the quarter," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "Such performance offers some optimism as we approach the holiday season, especially given recent improvements in consumer sentiment. With the housing market beginning to show signs of recovery in addition to increasing - if still underwhelming - job growth, there appears to be strong enough footing to support a very healthy online holiday shopping season."
Q3 marks the twelfth consecutive quarter for year over year growth in e-commerce; it's the eighth quarter to see double digit increases.
With the holiday shopping season around the corner, this continued growth is another marker that retailers need to have online presence - in addition to a website, brands who have social pages and mobile sites make it simpler for shoppers to find their products, compare prices, buy and then share those purchases with friends.
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- Build Your Business Case For Social Selling
Are you ready to build your business case for social selling? Do you need some help? Download this PowerPoint deck...
- The High Cost of Free: Does Online Video Quality Influence Consumer Perception of your Brand?
6 Billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube .... That's almost 1 hour for every person on...