News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Retail e-comm tops $41b in Q3
The growth in e-commerce continues. New data out from comScore shows retail e-commerce at $41.9 billion for Q3 2012, that is a 15% increase over 2011 - and the holiday shopping season is just around the corner. Here's how the different categories break down:
The comScore report shows the top category was Digital Content & Subscriptions, followed by Consumer Electronics, Apparel and Accessories and Computer Software. In each case the growth rate was above 15% year over year. Perhaps of more interest is that more than one-third of American shoppers say they've now participated in 'showrooming' - the behavior of using a smartphone while shopping in-store.
In most case these shoppers are comparing prices but in some cases the shopper will buy online while in the store.
"The Q3 growth rate of 15 percent growth remained in line with the prior quarter and provided confirmation of the strength in the e-commerce sector, despite a few negative headwinds in the macroeconomic environment during the quarter," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "Such performance offers some optimism as we approach the holiday season, especially given recent improvements in consumer sentiment. With the housing market beginning to show signs of recovery in addition to increasing - if still underwhelming - job growth, there appears to be strong enough footing to support a very healthy online holiday shopping season."
Q3 marks the twelfth consecutive quarter for year over year growth in e-commerce; it's the eighth quarter to see double digit increases.
With the holiday shopping season around the corner, this continued growth is another marker that retailers need to have online presence - in addition to a website, brands who have social pages and mobile sites make it simpler for shoppers to find their products, compare prices, buy and then share those purchases with friends.
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...