News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Play.com: Younger consumers seek customer service via social
While many UK consumers turn to email or the telephone for customer service, a new study from Rakuten's Play.com reveals younger consumers are more likely to turn to social.
In a survey of 1,000 UK consumers, commissioned by Rakuten's Play.com, differences between the generations are revealed. When looking for help from a company's customer service team, almost half (49%) said they made contact by email and 43% picked up the phone.
However, among younger consumers, the tendency was to air their grievances in a more public space - social media. Rakuten's commissioned research found that 46% of consumers age 24 and under use social media to solve customer service issues. That figure drops to 33% among those age 25-33.
The research also revealed differences in expectations from customer service. Among consumers age 25-34, speed of response was the biggest complaint with 33% saying help through their preferred channel was too slow. Among the over 45's, the local language fluency of customer service teams was the main concern.
Director of Marketing at Rakuten's Play.com, Adam Stewart, explains how Rakuten's UK business will be bringing a style of Japanese service, Omotenashi, to their retail and customer service business model.
Omotenashi could be translated as 'hospitality' in English but it is said that in Japan the word describes a much deeper level of hospitality. It is anticipating the needs of a customer, or guest, in advance - going beyond expectations.
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
- Reports show what worked and didn't over Thanksgiving
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...