News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Play.com: Younger consumers seek customer service via social
While many UK consumers turn to email or the telephone for customer service, a new study from Rakuten's Play.com reveals younger consumers are more likely to turn to social.
In a survey of 1,000 UK consumers, commissioned by Rakuten's Play.com, differences between the generations are revealed. When looking for help from a company's customer service team, almost half (49%) said they made contact by email and 43% picked up the phone.
However, among younger consumers, the tendency was to air their grievances in a more public space - social media. Rakuten's commissioned research found that 46% of consumers age 24 and under use social media to solve customer service issues. That figure drops to 33% among those age 25-33.
The research also revealed differences in expectations from customer service. Among consumers age 25-34, speed of response was the biggest complaint with 33% saying help through their preferred channel was too slow. Among the over 45's, the local language fluency of customer service teams was the main concern.
Director of Marketing at Rakuten's Play.com, Adam Stewart, explains how Rakuten's UK business will be bringing a style of Japanese service, Omotenashi, to their retail and customer service business model.
Omotenashi could be translated as 'hospitality' in English but it is said that in Japan the word describes a much deeper level of hospitality. It is anticipating the needs of a customer, or guest, in advance - going beyond expectations.
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...