News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
nRelate: How to engage content consumers
When it comes to reading newspapers and magazines a growing number of Americans are reading online. But it may surprise content producers to know where readers are finding their stories - and it isn't the social space.
According to The Behavior Shift: Getting Content in Front of Consumers fewer than 10% of content consumers (US adults over age 18) are clicking on content links through social networks like Facebook or on product links through the social networks. In fact most (48%) say they are most likely to click on 'related content' links at the bottom of other articles.
With fewer people clicking and engaging through search or social options, how can a brand engage?
First, know what these readers are looking for. According to the report 84% are likely to click on 'related content' when reading local news, 62% when reading entertainment pieces and 47% when reading sports content.
Second, focus on quality of content not quantity. The researchers found 60% of people engage through content from sourced they know offline - a newspaper, a manufacturer or brand - while one-quarter believe pieces which include images (24%) or author images/bylines (23%) are of higher quality. Interestingly enough only 11% looked at embedded video as a quality feature.
Finally, don't forget the relevance. For branded content, especially, consumers are most likely to click related links for content that is related to a product search or review - for example, someone looking at a piece detailing the benefits of 3D Blu-Ray versus HD Blu-Ray players would probably find movie-related content relevant.
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...