News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
New Facebook tool tracks ad-driven consumer activity
At the end of this week, Facebook will begin the roll out of a new tool for retailers that will enable the tracking of purchases, or other desirable actions, by users who have viewed their ads.
For a long time, retailers on the social network have been asking for a conversion measurement tool. Later this week that request will be answered.
The new tool, currently in beta, is part of Facebook's Optimized CPM bidding system and Facebook marketers can set up the system from within the Ad Manager page using a simple piece of code. That code can be added to any page, such as checkout, after which the measurement tool recognizes when the checkout page of a website is loaded by a customer who has previously clicked on a Facebook ad.
"This is not click-through-based, it's action-based, and the advertiser determines what the action is--add to cart, registration page, checkout page," David Baser, Facebook product manager, told Direct Marketing News.
There's an added benefit for advertisers. Data gleaned from the measurement tool, which is anonymous, can be used to tailor future ad campaigns to specific segments.
Fab.com has already tested the new tool and made savings of 39% on customer acquisition, claims Facebook. According to Facebook a conversion can be anything from a completed sale to any other desired action taken such as registering for a newsletter or viewing product information.
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...