News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile shoppers spending more than a penny in the toilet
Shopping via mobile while 'on-the-go' appears to mean rather more than simply being out and about. New research from digital gifting and incentives firm CashStar reveals that millions of Americans shop while on the toilet.
Yes, you did read that correctly.
CashStar's recent nationwide survey of 2,104 online adults, conducted by Harris Interactive, revealed that U.S. adults use their mobiles, and computers, in some strange and unexpected places.
More than 38 million admit to having conducted online shopping while, of all places, being on the toilet (hand sanitizer anyone?), giving more meaning to shopping 'on-the-go'. Men, it seems, are more likely to undertake this particular form of multi-tasking, and I can only assume they're sitting comfortably and not juggling their, er, 'devices'.
While 17 million shop in more usual places, such as when in a retailer's physical store, more than four million take their lives into their own hands and shop online while driving a vehicle, found the report.
Online shopping also appears to cure boredom with more than 9 million secretly shopping during attendance at a business meeting.
"Smartphones and tablets have enabled consumers to shop and gift on-the-go in more ways and places than ever before," says David Stone, co-founder and CEO of CashStar. "The retailers who have been paying attention and catering to where and how consumers want to shop by mobile-optimizing their e-commerce sites and offering mobile eGift Cards will reap the rewards this holiday season and have a jump on the competition going into 2013."
Earlier this year, the "Global Online Shopper Report" from WorldPay revealed that 95% of online shopping takes place in the home - 3% of which takes place in the bathroom.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...