News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile couponing will save UK millions in fraudulent redemptions
Is there a way to prevent paper couponing fraud? According to Shopitize, the way to solve the problem, and save companies in the UK millions of dollars a year, is to move to mobile couponing.
Coupons continue to be a valuable acquisition and loyalty tool. However, around 30% of paper coupons in the UK are subject to fraud, according to mobile coupon service Shopitize. This misredemption and malredemption of paper coupons is costing firms in the region of $240 million a year.
The problem shows no signs of abating with consumers attempting to use out-of-date coupons or sharing discount codes with friends, particularly via social channels.
"It is extremely difficult to try and come up with a solution that prevents paper couponing being subject to fraud," says Dr Alexey Andriyanenko, joint managing director and co-founder of Shopitize, in a company blog post. "Attempts have been made, either by training retail staff to be more vigilant or by introducing more sophisticated bar-coding, but ultimately mis/malredemption still takes place which greatly increases the costs for any brand running a campaign."
However, the use of mobile coupons can go a long way to preventing fraud, according to Andriyanenko, who believes it has the capacity to be virtually 100% fraud free. Furthermore, the process of redeeming a mobile coupon is faster and easier for consumers and retailers alike, and makes the entire process safer.
"Mobile couponing also does not rely upon the retailer to authorize the coupon, so human error is eliminated," says Andriyanenko. "A busy, tired, cashier no longer has to manually verify countless paper coupons at the checkout. Now it is done via our automated ecosystem, not at the check-out, thus preventing queue bottlenecks."
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...