News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's UK search market share drops for first time in 5 years
Google's search market share in the UK has dropped for the first time in five years, according to new figures released by Experian Hitwise.
While Microsoft Sites, Yahoo Sites and Ask Sites all registered a positive yearly change in their share of searches - albeit small rises - Google Sites saw its first decrease and its first drop to below 90%.
Experian Hitwise shows Google's share of searches dropped in one month from 90.7% in September, 2012, to 89.33% in October, 2012. Figures also show a drop across the year of 1.69% from October, 2011, at which point its share of search stood at 91.02%.
From September, 2012, to October, 2012, Microsoft Sites' share rose slightly from 3.98% share to 4.71%, as did Yahoo Sites' (2.83% to 3.33%) and Ask Sites' (2% to 2.13%).
"Clearly, Google still maintains a huge competitive edge over the other search engines in the UK market," says Experian Hitwise Digital Insights Manager, James Murray.
"There are 18 times more searches conducted on Google Sites than on all the other search engines combined. However, this is encouraging news for Microsoft as bing once again starts to gain some momentum and traction in the UK search market."
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...