News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's UK search market share drops for first time in 5 years
Google's search market share in the UK has dropped for the first time in five years, according to new figures released by Experian Hitwise.
While Microsoft Sites, Yahoo Sites and Ask Sites all registered a positive yearly change in their share of searches - albeit small rises - Google Sites saw its first decrease and its first drop to below 90%.
Experian Hitwise shows Google's share of searches dropped in one month from 90.7% in September, 2012, to 89.33% in October, 2012. Figures also show a drop across the year of 1.69% from October, 2011, at which point its share of search stood at 91.02%.
From September, 2012, to October, 2012, Microsoft Sites' share rose slightly from 3.98% share to 4.71%, as did Yahoo Sites' (2.83% to 3.33%) and Ask Sites' (2% to 2.13%).
"Clearly, Google still maintains a huge competitive edge over the other search engines in the UK market," says Experian Hitwise Digital Insights Manager, James Murray.
"There are 18 times more searches conducted on Google Sites than on all the other search engines combined. However, this is encouraging news for Microsoft as bing once again starts to gain some momentum and traction in the UK search market."
- Expert: How SMBs can be more productive
- Study: Transparency important to CPG buyers
- Report outlines the impact on brands of email fraud
- Millennials losing faith in traditional banks, trust tech firms more
- Report finds 'last mile' issues continue to dismay consumers
- Consumer satisfaction with mobile commerce falling
- YouTube wants agencies to learn from their top creators
- Search marketing taking back seat as proving ROI challenging
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...