News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's UK search market share drops for first time in 5 years
Google's search market share in the UK has dropped for the first time in five years, according to new figures released by Experian Hitwise.
While Microsoft Sites, Yahoo Sites and Ask Sites all registered a positive yearly change in their share of searches - albeit small rises - Google Sites saw its first decrease and its first drop to below 90%.
Experian Hitwise shows Google's share of searches dropped in one month from 90.7% in September, 2012, to 89.33% in October, 2012. Figures also show a drop across the year of 1.69% from October, 2011, at which point its share of search stood at 91.02%.
From September, 2012, to October, 2012, Microsoft Sites' share rose slightly from 3.98% share to 4.71%, as did Yahoo Sites' (2.83% to 3.33%) and Ask Sites' (2% to 2.13%).
"Clearly, Google still maintains a huge competitive edge over the other search engines in the UK market," says Experian Hitwise Digital Insights Manager, James Murray.
"There are 18 times more searches conducted on Google Sites than on all the other search engines combined. However, this is encouraging news for Microsoft as bing once again starts to gain some momentum and traction in the UK search market."
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...