News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's UK search market share drops for first time in 5 years
Google's search market share in the UK has dropped for the first time in five years, according to new figures released by Experian Hitwise.
While Microsoft Sites, Yahoo Sites and Ask Sites all registered a positive yearly change in their share of searches - albeit small rises - Google Sites saw its first decrease and its first drop to below 90%.
Experian Hitwise shows Google's share of searches dropped in one month from 90.7% in September, 2012, to 89.33% in October, 2012. Figures also show a drop across the year of 1.69% from October, 2011, at which point its share of search stood at 91.02%.
From September, 2012, to October, 2012, Microsoft Sites' share rose slightly from 3.98% share to 4.71%, as did Yahoo Sites' (2.83% to 3.33%) and Ask Sites' (2% to 2.13%).
"Clearly, Google still maintains a huge competitive edge over the other search engines in the UK market," says Experian Hitwise Digital Insights Manager, James Murray.
"There are 18 times more searches conducted on Google Sites than on all the other search engines combined. However, this is encouraging news for Microsoft as bing once again starts to gain some momentum and traction in the UK search market."
- Study: Brands upping the personalization factor
- Online Roundup: Rebranding to better reach businesses
- Report: The sharing, buying connection
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...