News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's UK search market share drops for first time in 5 years
Google's search market share in the UK has dropped for the first time in five years, according to new figures released by Experian Hitwise.
While Microsoft Sites, Yahoo Sites and Ask Sites all registered a positive yearly change in their share of searches - albeit small rises - Google Sites saw its first decrease and its first drop to below 90%.
Experian Hitwise shows Google's share of searches dropped in one month from 90.7% in September, 2012, to 89.33% in October, 2012. Figures also show a drop across the year of 1.69% from October, 2011, at which point its share of search stood at 91.02%.
From September, 2012, to October, 2012, Microsoft Sites' share rose slightly from 3.98% share to 4.71%, as did Yahoo Sites' (2.83% to 3.33%) and Ask Sites' (2% to 2.13%).
"Clearly, Google still maintains a huge competitive edge over the other search engines in the UK market," says Experian Hitwise Digital Insights Manager, James Murray.
"There are 18 times more searches conducted on Google Sites than on all the other search engines combined. However, this is encouraging news for Microsoft as bing once again starts to gain some momentum and traction in the UK search market."
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...