News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook swapping free Wifi routers for check-ins
Facebook is trialing a new WiFi hotspot service for some local businesses that provides a router allowing customers to browse the Internet free of charge if they check-in on Facebook.
In what Facebook refers to as a "small test with a few local businesses", the social network is giving free routers that direct customers to a business' Facebook Page after check-in.
According to a statement provided to Inside Facebook, "We are currently running a small test with a few local businesses of a Wi-Fi router that is designed to offer a quick and easy way to access free Wi-Fi after checking in on Facebook."
"Quick and easy" is the key here. Many 'free' hotspots require the user to provide personal information or passwords to use WiFi.
For those that don't want to use Facebook to check-in to a premises with Facebook's free WiFi, there is an option to gain access via other means.
At this point in time there are no indications that this pilot will be rolled out to a wider audience.
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...