News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook swapping free Wifi routers for check-ins
Facebook is trialing a new WiFi hotspot service for some local businesses that provides a router allowing customers to browse the Internet free of charge if they check-in on Facebook.
In what Facebook refers to as a "small test with a few local businesses", the social network is giving free routers that direct customers to a business' Facebook Page after check-in.
According to a statement provided to Inside Facebook, "We are currently running a small test with a few local businesses of a Wi-Fi router that is designed to offer a quick and easy way to access free Wi-Fi after checking in on Facebook."
"Quick and easy" is the key here. Many 'free' hotspots require the user to provide personal information or passwords to use WiFi.
For those that don't want to use Facebook to check-in to a premises with Facebook's free WiFi, there is an option to gain access via other means.
At this point in time there are no indications that this pilot will be rolled out to a wider audience.
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...