News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook swapping free Wifi routers for check-ins
Facebook is trialing a new WiFi hotspot service for some local businesses that provides a router allowing customers to browse the Internet free of charge if they check-in on Facebook.
In what Facebook refers to as a "small test with a few local businesses", the social network is giving free routers that direct customers to a business' Facebook Page after check-in.
According to a statement provided to Inside Facebook, "We are currently running a small test with a few local businesses of a Wi-Fi router that is designed to offer a quick and easy way to access free Wi-Fi after checking in on Facebook."
"Quick and easy" is the key here. Many 'free' hotspots require the user to provide personal information or passwords to use WiFi.
For those that don't want to use Facebook to check-in to a premises with Facebook's free WiFi, there is an option to gain access via other means.
At this point in time there are no indications that this pilot will be rolled out to a wider audience.
- Ad RoundUp: Partnerships increase ad support across channels
- Report: Fraud, conversions linked to traffic numbers
- Mobile Roundup: New solutions, partnerships to help mobile brands
- Expert: Non-Profits can thrive in the online space
- Mobile Roundup: Mobile wallets upping the retail ante
- Report: US, UK users vulnerable because of passwords
- Study: Images linked to email success
- Millennial Media: Video increases engagement
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...