News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook and iMessage to blame for first decline in text messaging
The average mobile subscriber in the U.S. sent 696 text messages per month in the second quarter of 2012 but, according to a new report, that figure dropped in the third quarter for the first time.
The number of text messages sent by U.S. mobile subscribers has seen a massive rise over the past five years. Text messaging during that time tripled. However, a new report from Chetan Sharma, an independent mobile analyst, found that in the third quarter of this year 678 texts a month were sent, down from 696 texts a month in the previous quarter.
"Most western markets have seen the net revenue in the messaging segment decline," writes Sharma. "The US market has resisted the decline thus far. In Q3 2012, for the first time, there was a decline in both the total number of messages as well as the total messaging revenue in the market."
While Sharma says it is too early to say whether text messaging has peaked, it's surely a sign that IP and app messaging, such as Facebook or Apple's iMessage, are increasingly being favored by mobile users over text messaging.
"It might be early to say if the decline has begun or the market segment will sputter along before the decline takes place," wrote Sharma.
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...