News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook and iMessage to blame for first decline in text messaging
The average mobile subscriber in the U.S. sent 696 text messages per month in the second quarter of 2012 but, according to a new report, that figure dropped in the third quarter for the first time.
The number of text messages sent by U.S. mobile subscribers has seen a massive rise over the past five years. Text messaging during that time tripled. However, a new report from Chetan Sharma, an independent mobile analyst, found that in the third quarter of this year 678 texts a month were sent, down from 696 texts a month in the previous quarter.
"Most western markets have seen the net revenue in the messaging segment decline," writes Sharma. "The US market has resisted the decline thus far. In Q3 2012, for the first time, there was a decline in both the total number of messages as well as the total messaging revenue in the market."
While Sharma says it is too early to say whether text messaging has peaked, it's surely a sign that IP and app messaging, such as Facebook or Apple's iMessage, are increasingly being favored by mobile users over text messaging.
"It might be early to say if the decline has begun or the market segment will sputter along before the decline takes place," wrote Sharma.
- Nielsen research reveals countries least likely to embrace mobile-only banking
- Mobile use in restaurants - tolerable or taboo?
- Study: Shoppers want email contact
- New eBay ad targeting tool knows what mood a shopper is in
- Ad Roundup: Data key to new launches
- Top 3 tips to improve travel marketing strategy
- Millennials embrace marketing emails via mobile
- Video posts overtake photo posts by brands on Facebook
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....