News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cyber Monday shopping surge slowed mobile website load times
Online shopping records were broken during Cyber Monday, but mobile and website performance monitoring firm Keynote reveals that mobile retail sites were taking twice as long to load than normal.
Mobile retail sites usually take around 8-9 seconds to load. However, during one of the heaviest shopping days in history, Cyber Monday, they were taking, on average, 18 seconds to load, according to Keynote's Mobile Commerce Index. That's approximately seven times slower than the same websites' traditional pages on Cyber Monday.
With the number of people shopping from a smartphone or tablet, this rise in load time for mobile websites can have a significant impact on revenues.
"This is quite detrimental and will certainly impact a customer's experience negatively, and can easily motivate a shopper to abandon a site altogether or go to a competitor's mobile shopping site," said Aaron Rudger, mobile and web performance manager at Keynote.
Rudger attributes the problems with load times to a lack of testing before the holiday season traffic kicked in.
"Retailers put significant revenue at risk by not doing the requisite amount of mobile testing and mobile load testing to succeed and deliver an optimal experience during the holidays," he said. "The amount of holiday shopping now taking place on smartphones has simply grown too large for retailers to ignore. Simply put, retailers ignore the mobile experience at their own peril."
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...