News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cyber Monday shopping surge slowed mobile website load times
Online shopping records were broken during Cyber Monday, but mobile and website performance monitoring firm Keynote reveals that mobile retail sites were taking twice as long to load than normal.
Mobile retail sites usually take around 8-9 seconds to load. However, during one of the heaviest shopping days in history, Cyber Monday, they were taking, on average, 18 seconds to load, according to Keynote's Mobile Commerce Index. That's approximately seven times slower than the same websites' traditional pages on Cyber Monday.
With the number of people shopping from a smartphone or tablet, this rise in load time for mobile websites can have a significant impact on revenues.
"This is quite detrimental and will certainly impact a customer's experience negatively, and can easily motivate a shopper to abandon a site altogether or go to a competitor's mobile shopping site," said Aaron Rudger, mobile and web performance manager at Keynote.
Rudger attributes the problems with load times to a lack of testing before the holiday season traffic kicked in.
"Retailers put significant revenue at risk by not doing the requisite amount of mobile testing and mobile load testing to succeed and deliver an optimal experience during the holidays," he said. "The amount of holiday shopping now taking place on smartphones has simply grown too large for retailers to ignore. Simply put, retailers ignore the mobile experience at their own peril."
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...