News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cyber Monday shopping surge slowed mobile website load times
Online shopping records were broken during Cyber Monday, but mobile and website performance monitoring firm Keynote reveals that mobile retail sites were taking twice as long to load than normal.
Mobile retail sites usually take around 8-9 seconds to load. However, during one of the heaviest shopping days in history, Cyber Monday, they were taking, on average, 18 seconds to load, according to Keynote's Mobile Commerce Index. That's approximately seven times slower than the same websites' traditional pages on Cyber Monday.
With the number of people shopping from a smartphone or tablet, this rise in load time for mobile websites can have a significant impact on revenues.
"This is quite detrimental and will certainly impact a customer's experience negatively, and can easily motivate a shopper to abandon a site altogether or go to a competitor's mobile shopping site," said Aaron Rudger, mobile and web performance manager at Keynote.
Rudger attributes the problems with load times to a lack of testing before the holiday season traffic kicked in.
"Retailers put significant revenue at risk by not doing the requisite amount of mobile testing and mobile load testing to succeed and deliver an optimal experience during the holidays," he said. "The amount of holiday shopping now taking place on smartphones has simply grown too large for retailers to ignore. Simply put, retailers ignore the mobile experience at their own peril."
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...