News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Record online sales on Black Friday
The online holiday shopping season is off to a great start. comScore reported on Sunday that, for the first time ever, online retail sales exceeded $1 billion.
comScore has reported a significant 26% rise in online sales compared to last year. This year's Black Friday online sales totaled $1.04 billion compared with last year's total of $816 million.
Unsurprisingly, Amazon.com was the most popular online destination and the firm has posted its highest-ever YoY visitor growth rate. Walmart came in as the second most-popular place to shop online followed by sites in the Best Buy group, Target and Apple.
Meanwhile, Black Friday sales in brick and mortar stores were down 1.8% from the same day last year to $11.2 billion, according to ShopperTrak which measures and analyzes foot traffic across more than 50,000 retail locations across the U.S. That's despite store visits rising 3.5% from last year to more than 307 million.
There's little doubt that the early opening of stores on Thanksgiving Day and midnight deals accounted for the drop in sales on Black Friday. In addition, while store visits rose, many shoppers will have used their mobile device to make purchases to avoid queuing in-store and lugging around bags in the crowds.
"Black Friday continues to be an important day in retail," said Bill Martin, ShopperTrak founder. "This year, though, more retailers than last year began their 'doorbuster' deals on Thursday, Thanksgiving itself. So while foot traffic did increase on Friday, those Thursday deals attracted some of the spending that's usually meant for Friday."
eBay-owned PayPal has reported that Black Friday global mobile payments volume was up 193% from last year along with a huge jump in transactions.
- Report: Email, mobile key to retail success
- Expert: Data key for financial campaigns
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...