News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
BIA/Kelsey: SocMedia revenues to approach $10b by 2016
To date social media has been a consumer tool - staying in touch, sharing content and information and playing games. But over the past year some ads have begun showing up in the social space. A new forecast from BIA/Kelsey suggests social media ad revenues will skyrocket over the next four years - nearly doubling by 2016.
Social media ad revenues are expected to hit $4.6 billion this year; by 2016, the forecast suggests the revenues will reach $9.2 billion.
"The year 2012 can be viewed as social advertising's 'coming of age,'" said Jed Williams, program director, Social Local Media, BIA/Kelsey. "The continued development of native ads, such as Facebook's Sponsored Stories and Twitter's Promoted Tweets, and the acceleration of mobile monetization will be the primary drivers of social advertising growth through 2016."
The biggest revenue getter, researchers believe, will be social display, which should see a $3 billion spend in 2012, growing to more than $5.4 billion in 2016. However, 'native' social ads - branded content integrated with a newsfeed or stream - will see some of the highest growth rates (26%) during the forecast period. Native social ads currently account for about $1.5 billion of the social spend but by 2016 are expected to account for nearly $4 billion.
Meanwhile, expect mobile to make itself known in the social space as well. As mobile devices take over from PCs and laptops, more ad dollars will shift into the mobile social space. Researchers believe mobile-social will show a CAGR of 28% to reach $1.5 billion in 2016, up from $500 million in 2012.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...