News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Anonymous sources suggest Facebook has plans to take on Craigslist
Two anonymous sources have told of Facebook's plans to launch a service that could worry Craigslist. Called Marketplace it's the social network's first foray into classified ads.
According to a report in The Daily, Facebook is fast tracking a new tool, called Marketplace, that will allow users to create classified ads that appear in their Friends' newsfeeds.
For a small fee - less than $5 according to The Daily's sources - users can sell pretty much anything they like using the ads which can incorporate photos and links to external sites.
Craiglist's property and job postings could also be threatened as Facebook plans to include these categories in the Marketplace tool. Furthermore, property listings will likely be free and targeted to only those who live within a certain radius from the person posting the ad.
"The whole affair seems to be very targeted, allowing users to locate anything from roommates to jobs by taking advantage of Facebook's vast network," writes The Daily's Matt Hickey.
"This focused method is the very opposite of Craigslist's wider (but so-far successful) shotgun approach; instead of broadcasting ads to everyone on the web, Facebook will just display those that are relevant to the users that might be interested."
No specific timescales associated with the launch of Marketplace have been provided.
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...