News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Anonymous sources suggest Facebook has plans to take on Craigslist
Two anonymous sources have told of Facebook's plans to launch a service that could worry Craigslist. Called Marketplace it's the social network's first foray into classified ads.
According to a report in The Daily, Facebook is fast tracking a new tool, called Marketplace, that will allow users to create classified ads that appear in their Friends' newsfeeds.
For a small fee - less than $5 according to The Daily's sources - users can sell pretty much anything they like using the ads which can incorporate photos and links to external sites.
Craiglist's property and job postings could also be threatened as Facebook plans to include these categories in the Marketplace tool. Furthermore, property listings will likely be free and targeted to only those who live within a certain radius from the person posting the ad.
"The whole affair seems to be very targeted, allowing users to locate anything from roommates to jobs by taking advantage of Facebook's vast network," writes The Daily's Matt Hickey.
"This focused method is the very opposite of Craigslist's wider (but so-far successful) shotgun approach; instead of broadcasting ads to everyone on the web, Facebook will just display those that are relevant to the users that might be interested."
No specific timescales associated with the launch of Marketplace have been provided.
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...