News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Anonymous sources suggest Facebook has plans to take on Craigslist
Two anonymous sources have told of Facebook's plans to launch a service that could worry Craigslist. Called Marketplace it's the social network's first foray into classified ads.
According to a report in The Daily, Facebook is fast tracking a new tool, called Marketplace, that will allow users to create classified ads that appear in their Friends' newsfeeds.
For a small fee - less than $5 according to The Daily's sources - users can sell pretty much anything they like using the ads which can incorporate photos and links to external sites.
Craiglist's property and job postings could also be threatened as Facebook plans to include these categories in the Marketplace tool. Furthermore, property listings will likely be free and targeted to only those who live within a certain radius from the person posting the ad.
"The whole affair seems to be very targeted, allowing users to locate anything from roommates to jobs by taking advantage of Facebook's vast network," writes The Daily's Matt Hickey.
"This focused method is the very opposite of Craigslist's wider (but so-far successful) shotgun approach; instead of broadcasting ads to everyone on the web, Facebook will just display those that are relevant to the users that might be interested."
No specific timescales associated with the launch of Marketplace have been provided.
- Eight in ten disappointed shoppers give retailers no chance to fix problem
- Report: BTS spending to increase
- Study: Behavioral data influencing more shoppers
- Report: Data scientists spend bulk of time cleaning up
- Retailers: 3 ways shoppers are gaming you
- Mobile Roundup: 2 solutions in the mobile space to broaden reach
- Ad Roundup: 3 solutions to power brand engagement
- Study: 'Digital amnesia' the result of over-reliance on mobile
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...