News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Anonymous sources suggest Facebook has plans to take on Craigslist
Two anonymous sources have told of Facebook's plans to launch a service that could worry Craigslist. Called Marketplace it's the social network's first foray into classified ads.
According to a report in The Daily, Facebook is fast tracking a new tool, called Marketplace, that will allow users to create classified ads that appear in their Friends' newsfeeds.
For a small fee - less than $5 according to The Daily's sources - users can sell pretty much anything they like using the ads which can incorporate photos and links to external sites.
Craiglist's property and job postings could also be threatened as Facebook plans to include these categories in the Marketplace tool. Furthermore, property listings will likely be free and targeted to only those who live within a certain radius from the person posting the ad.
"The whole affair seems to be very targeted, allowing users to locate anything from roommates to jobs by taking advantage of Facebook's vast network," writes The Daily's Matt Hickey.
"This focused method is the very opposite of Craigslist's wider (but so-far successful) shotgun approach; instead of broadcasting ads to everyone on the web, Facebook will just display those that are relevant to the users that might be interested."
No specific timescales associated with the launch of Marketplace have been provided.
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....