News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ad placement on Yahoo's log-in page takes a tumble
A report from Macquarie Equities Research reveals that log-in pages aren't necessarily the best spot for ad placement.
Earlier this year, Facebook realized the advertising potential of their logout page and, since then, prominent ads are displayed where the 'register new account' form was once located.
So, does it follow that ads on a log-in page would work just as well? Not if you are Yahoo.
Ad sales on Yahoo's log-in page have fallen significantly this year, according to research from Macquarie Equities Research. During the first half of Q4 2011, ads appeared on Yahoo's log-in page on 86% of days. However, in the same time period this year ads were present just 47% of the time.
"The sell-through rate doesn't necessarily mean that ad revenue tied to the log-in page has plummeted, since it's possible, though unlikely, that Yahoo has jacked up the price of those ad units," says Ad Age, where the report was first highlighted.
However, it could also be that the ads weren't performing particularly well, after all, an Internet user logging in to Yahoo isn't hanging around to absorb content, let alone ads. Users want to log-in as quickly as possible and not have that process slowed down by huge ads.
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...