News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ad placement on Yahoo's log-in page takes a tumble
A report from Macquarie Equities Research reveals that log-in pages aren't necessarily the best spot for ad placement.
Earlier this year, Facebook realized the advertising potential of their logout page and, since then, prominent ads are displayed where the 'register new account' form was once located.
So, does it follow that ads on a log-in page would work just as well? Not if you are Yahoo.
Ad sales on Yahoo's log-in page have fallen significantly this year, according to research from Macquarie Equities Research. During the first half of Q4 2011, ads appeared on Yahoo's log-in page on 86% of days. However, in the same time period this year ads were present just 47% of the time.
"The sell-through rate doesn't necessarily mean that ad revenue tied to the log-in page has plummeted, since it's possible, though unlikely, that Yahoo has jacked up the price of those ad units," says Ad Age, where the report was first highlighted.
However, it could also be that the ads weren't performing particularly well, after all, an Internet user logging in to Yahoo isn't hanging around to absorb content, let alone ads. Users want to log-in as quickly as possible and not have that process slowed down by huge ads.
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...