News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ad placement on Yahoo's log-in page takes a tumble
A report from Macquarie Equities Research reveals that log-in pages aren't necessarily the best spot for ad placement.
Earlier this year, Facebook realized the advertising potential of their logout page and, since then, prominent ads are displayed where the 'register new account' form was once located.
So, does it follow that ads on a log-in page would work just as well? Not if you are Yahoo.
Ad sales on Yahoo's log-in page have fallen significantly this year, according to research from Macquarie Equities Research. During the first half of Q4 2011, ads appeared on Yahoo's log-in page on 86% of days. However, in the same time period this year ads were present just 47% of the time.
"The sell-through rate doesn't necessarily mean that ad revenue tied to the log-in page has plummeted, since it's possible, though unlikely, that Yahoo has jacked up the price of those ad units," says Ad Age, where the report was first highlighted.
However, it could also be that the ads weren't performing particularly well, after all, an Internet user logging in to Yahoo isn't hanging around to absorb content, let alone ads. Users want to log-in as quickly as possible and not have that process slowed down by huge ads.
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...