News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ad placement on Yahoo's log-in page takes a tumble
A report from Macquarie Equities Research reveals that log-in pages aren't necessarily the best spot for ad placement.
Earlier this year, Facebook realized the advertising potential of their logout page and, since then, prominent ads are displayed where the 'register new account' form was once located.
So, does it follow that ads on a log-in page would work just as well? Not if you are Yahoo.
Ad sales on Yahoo's log-in page have fallen significantly this year, according to research from Macquarie Equities Research. During the first half of Q4 2011, ads appeared on Yahoo's log-in page on 86% of days. However, in the same time period this year ads were present just 47% of the time.
"The sell-through rate doesn't necessarily mean that ad revenue tied to the log-in page has plummeted, since it's possible, though unlikely, that Yahoo has jacked up the price of those ad units," says Ad Age, where the report was first highlighted.
However, it could also be that the ads weren't performing particularly well, after all, an Internet user logging in to Yahoo isn't hanging around to absorb content, let alone ads. Users want to log-in as quickly as possible and not have that process slowed down by huge ads.
- Study: Mobile video a compliment to TV
- Mobile sites leaving customers hungry
- Survey: Most create videos as keepsakes
- Ad RoundUp: Ecommerce deployments key in on data
- Online and mobile shopping experience still failing to meet consumer expectations
- Which products have the highest online browse-to-buy correlation?
- Millennials: Speed and high-quality images the difference between bounce or buy on mobile
- Smartphone shopping up but revenue remains low
Featured White Papers
- 7 ways the mobile consumer changes everything infographic
Download the infographic "7 Ways the Mobile Consumer Changes Everything" to learn how to optimize your web content for mobile,...
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...