News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ad placement on Yahoo's log-in page takes a tumble
A report from Macquarie Equities Research reveals that log-in pages aren't necessarily the best spot for ad placement.
Earlier this year, Facebook realized the advertising potential of their logout page and, since then, prominent ads are displayed where the 'register new account' form was once located.
So, does it follow that ads on a log-in page would work just as well? Not if you are Yahoo.
Ad sales on Yahoo's log-in page have fallen significantly this year, according to research from Macquarie Equities Research. During the first half of Q4 2011, ads appeared on Yahoo's log-in page on 86% of days. However, in the same time period this year ads were present just 47% of the time.
"The sell-through rate doesn't necessarily mean that ad revenue tied to the log-in page has plummeted, since it's possible, though unlikely, that Yahoo has jacked up the price of those ad units," says Ad Age, where the report was first highlighted.
However, it could also be that the ads weren't performing particularly well, after all, an Internet user logging in to Yahoo isn't hanging around to absorb content, let alone ads. Users want to log-in as quickly as possible and not have that process slowed down by huge ads.
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...