News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
80% plan to purchase gift cards this season
For the fifth year running gift cards will be the number one present this Christmas, according to new figures released by the National Retail Federation, with over 80% of shoppers buying at least one.
The growth in gift card giving continues with over 80% of shoppers in the U.S. intending to buy at least one this year, according to the NRF's Holiday Consumer Spending survey. Just short of $30 billion will be spent on gift cards this year, an average of $43.75 per card, up from $27.8 billion last year.
"Retailers are pulling out all the stops this year to make their gift cards personal, convenient and desirable," said NRF President and CEO Matthew Shay. "Savvy shoppers know they can purchase a much appreciated gift card with ease either in store, online or through their mobile device, and give their loved ones the option to buy something they really want or need."
There's no doubt that flexibility of use and convenient formats, such as mobile, are the main drivers of gift card gifting. This year, more people than ever intend to purchase a gift card that can be used with an online merchant (11.2%) and coffee shops (18.1%), while a third of shoppers (33.3%) will give a gift card for a restaurant.
As well as buying gift cards, 6 out of 10 Americans said they'd like to receive them at Christmas.
According to a survey by Weber State University marketing professors Erhard Valentin and Anthony Allred, there is a disconnect between the attitudes of those giving gift cards and the recipients. For example, while almost half of respondents like giving a gift card to use at a restaurant, just 27% want to receive one and while 33% like to receive gift cards to use in a department store, just 21% were likely to purchase one as a gift.
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...