News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
45% of major U.S. retailers have uptime below industry standard
Almost half of major U.S. retailer websites suffered downtime in the first eight months of 2012, according to new analysis carried out by website availability monitoring firm Panopta, a situation that could cause chaos and lack of sales during the holiday shopping season.
Panopta's monitoring of 130 of the U.S.'s major retailers' websites, from January through to August this year, found that 45% had uptime that fell below the 99.9% industry standard. (Panopta excluded downtime between the hours of 1am and 6am to factor in scheduled maintenance downtimes).
Of the major retailers that performed poorly during the analysis period, Gamefly, Blockbuster, Home Depot, Sears, Fossil and J&R were among the worst.
However, a number of major brands registered no downtime at all, including American Eagle, Bloomingdale's, Ikea, Overstock and Sam's Club.
"Many factors can cause an outage, but most are preventable," says Jason Abate, CEO and Founder of Panopta. "Downtime in a high traffic period like the holiday shopping season can be catastrophic to a company. When a site isn't available, consumers often buy elsewhere leaving the door open for a competitor and hurting the good will a brand has worked hard to establish with customers."
Downtime doesn't just affect consumer access and sales, it can also damage ranking on search engines, says Panopta. Social media also plays a part with frustrated customers sharing their experience of an offline website.
To minimize disruption during the busy holiday shopping period, Panopta advises that retailers complete any scheduled maintenance now, and those brands who have already struggled with downtime to address those problems before the Christmas onslaught moves into top gear.
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...