News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Velti: iOS grabs 5% of mobile marketplace from Android
The launch of Apple's iPhone 5 is pushing more consumers into the smartphone race - and taking a big of the marketplace away from Google's Android platform in the process. New data out from Velti shows iOS gained 5% of the marketshare for smartphones away from Google in September (month over month).
"In July and August, Android held prevalent market share in a year that was previously dominated by iOS--but September marks an end to this trend,"said Krishna Subramanian, CMO of Velti. "We are seeing a pattern that leads us to believe the shift back to iOS domination is a result of the iOS 6 release and iPhone 5 launch. In fact, this is similar to the change we saw directly after the iPhone 4S release, when iOS volume also spiked by five percent."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Apple accounts for 62% of mobile ad impressions; Android for 38%
• iPhone 5 users spend27% of mobile time on socnet apps, 22% with games, 13% on entertainment and utility apps
• 11% of iPhone users have not upgraded to iOS 6 - and Velti predicts these users will be very hard to convert
Meanwhile, for August, comScore reports Android still holds a 52% smartphone marketshare (US); Apple's iOS holds a 34% marketshare. More than 116 million Americans are now smartphone owners, a 6% increase over May 2012, and while texting remains the top action (75% share), overall half are using downloaded apps and mobile browsers (53% vs. 52%) and 38% are accessing social networks.
- Accenture: Execs have tech, need talent to make sense of data
- Study: More people working on home To-Dos from work
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
- Mobile offers, coupons big draw for Dads
- Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
- Report: SMBs missing out on mobile commerce
Featured White Papers
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Beyond Last Touch: Understanding Campaign Effectiveness
Understanding what drives customers to take action is critical to your advertising investments. However, with a flood of available metrics...