News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Velti: iOS grabs 5% of mobile marketplace from Android
The launch of Apple's iPhone 5 is pushing more consumers into the smartphone race - and taking a big of the marketplace away from Google's Android platform in the process. New data out from Velti shows iOS gained 5% of the marketshare for smartphones away from Google in September (month over month).
"In July and August, Android held prevalent market share in a year that was previously dominated by iOS--but September marks an end to this trend,"said Krishna Subramanian, CMO of Velti. "We are seeing a pattern that leads us to believe the shift back to iOS domination is a result of the iOS 6 release and iPhone 5 launch. In fact, this is similar to the change we saw directly after the iPhone 4S release, when iOS volume also spiked by five percent."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Apple accounts for 62% of mobile ad impressions; Android for 38%
• iPhone 5 users spend27% of mobile time on socnet apps, 22% with games, 13% on entertainment and utility apps
• 11% of iPhone users have not upgraded to iOS 6 - and Velti predicts these users will be very hard to convert
Meanwhile, for August, comScore reports Android still holds a 52% smartphone marketshare (US); Apple's iOS holds a 34% marketshare. More than 116 million Americans are now smartphone owners, a 6% increase over May 2012, and while texting remains the top action (75% share), overall half are using downloaded apps and mobile browsers (53% vs. 52%) and 38% are accessing social networks.
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...