News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter can now assign users a gender with 90% accuracy
How accurately can you tell a person's gender by their profile name and their social media posts? Fairly well, according to Twitter, who are assigning a gender to users based on a variety of signals.
Many marketers want to target prospects using gender. However, because this isn't information that Twitter asks for when a user signs up, the platform can't tell men from women.
By using a variety of "signals", Twitter says it can predict whether a user is male or female with an accuracy of more than 90%.
Those signals include username, the accounts Followed and even words and phrases used.
"We've been working on using a variety of signals that could help us understand our users' gender reliably, while maintaining the simplicity of the Twitter profile that our users value," writes Twitter's revenue product manager, April Underwood, in a blog post. "These signals have proven effective in inferring gender, so starting today, we are making gender targeting available to all marketers."
When Twitter can't discern whether a user is male or female they don't take a guess. Instead, those users won't be targetable by gender.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...