News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter can now assign users a gender with 90% accuracy
How accurately can you tell a person's gender by their profile name and their social media posts? Fairly well, according to Twitter, who are assigning a gender to users based on a variety of signals.
Many marketers want to target prospects using gender. However, because this isn't information that Twitter asks for when a user signs up, the platform can't tell men from women.
By using a variety of "signals", Twitter says it can predict whether a user is male or female with an accuracy of more than 90%.
Those signals include username, the accounts Followed and even words and phrases used.
"We've been working on using a variety of signals that could help us understand our users' gender reliably, while maintaining the simplicity of the Twitter profile that our users value," writes Twitter's revenue product manager, April Underwood, in a blog post. "These signals have proven effective in inferring gender, so starting today, we are making gender targeting available to all marketers."
When Twitter can't discern whether a user is male or female they don't take a guess. Instead, those users won't be targetable by gender.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...