News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter can now assign users a gender with 90% accuracy
How accurately can you tell a person's gender by their profile name and their social media posts? Fairly well, according to Twitter, who are assigning a gender to users based on a variety of signals.
Many marketers want to target prospects using gender. However, because this isn't information that Twitter asks for when a user signs up, the platform can't tell men from women.
By using a variety of "signals", Twitter says it can predict whether a user is male or female with an accuracy of more than 90%.
Those signals include username, the accounts Followed and even words and phrases used.
"We've been working on using a variety of signals that could help us understand our users' gender reliably, while maintaining the simplicity of the Twitter profile that our users value," writes Twitter's revenue product manager, April Underwood, in a blog post. "These signals have proven effective in inferring gender, so starting today, we are making gender targeting available to all marketers."
When Twitter can't discern whether a user is male or female they don't take a guess. Instead, those users won't be targetable by gender.
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...