News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent 'using the Internet' falls to pre-2010 levels. Or has it?
Consumers are spending less time online today than they did in 2010, according to new figures released by Forrester Research. How can this be?
According to Forrester's survey of 58,000 U.S. adults, consumers aren't spending as many hours 'using the Internet' today as they were a couple of years ago. Back in 2010, 20.6 hours were spent 'using the Internet' in a typical week, peaking in 2011 at 21.9 hours.
Forrester's survey reveals that in 2012 consumers spent just 19.6 hours per week 'using the Internet'.
How can it be that, with the onslaught of mobile technology and more widespread Internet access, Internet use is declining? Forrester believes the answer lies in a difference in perception between being online and 'using the Internet'.
For example, today's consumers don't equate checking and interacting on social networks or using maps via their mobile device as the 'using the Internet'. Such activity is "not considered online because it has become such a part of everyday life", explains Forrester analyst Gina Sverdlov.
Instead, 'using the Internet' has come to describe more serious tasks, such as search, and is associated more with being in front of a desktop or laptop PC.
Perhaps another cause for the decline in time spent 'using the Internet' could be that consumers are becoming more comfortable and efficient at finding what they want. Similarly, search has evolved to provide more relevant results and websites have become quicker to load and easier to navigate.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....