News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent 'using the Internet' falls to pre-2010 levels. Or has it?
Consumers are spending less time online today than they did in 2010, according to new figures released by Forrester Research. How can this be?
According to Forrester's survey of 58,000 U.S. adults, consumers aren't spending as many hours 'using the Internet' today as they were a couple of years ago. Back in 2010, 20.6 hours were spent 'using the Internet' in a typical week, peaking in 2011 at 21.9 hours.
Forrester's survey reveals that in 2012 consumers spent just 19.6 hours per week 'using the Internet'.
How can it be that, with the onslaught of mobile technology and more widespread Internet access, Internet use is declining? Forrester believes the answer lies in a difference in perception between being online and 'using the Internet'.
For example, today's consumers don't equate checking and interacting on social networks or using maps via their mobile device as the 'using the Internet'. Such activity is "not considered online because it has become such a part of everyday life", explains Forrester analyst Gina Sverdlov.
Instead, 'using the Internet' has come to describe more serious tasks, such as search, and is associated more with being in front of a desktop or laptop PC.
Perhaps another cause for the decline in time spent 'using the Internet' could be that consumers are becoming more comfortable and efficient at finding what they want. Similarly, search has evolved to provide more relevant results and websites have become quicker to load and easier to navigate.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...