News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent 'using the Internet' falls to pre-2010 levels. Or has it?
Consumers are spending less time online today than they did in 2010, according to new figures released by Forrester Research. How can this be?
According to Forrester's survey of 58,000 U.S. adults, consumers aren't spending as many hours 'using the Internet' today as they were a couple of years ago. Back in 2010, 20.6 hours were spent 'using the Internet' in a typical week, peaking in 2011 at 21.9 hours.
Forrester's survey reveals that in 2012 consumers spent just 19.6 hours per week 'using the Internet'.
How can it be that, with the onslaught of mobile technology and more widespread Internet access, Internet use is declining? Forrester believes the answer lies in a difference in perception between being online and 'using the Internet'.
For example, today's consumers don't equate checking and interacting on social networks or using maps via their mobile device as the 'using the Internet'. Such activity is "not considered online because it has become such a part of everyday life", explains Forrester analyst Gina Sverdlov.
Instead, 'using the Internet' has come to describe more serious tasks, such as search, and is associated more with being in front of a desktop or laptop PC.
Perhaps another cause for the decline in time spent 'using the Internet' could be that consumers are becoming more comfortable and efficient at finding what they want. Similarly, search has evolved to provide more relevant results and websites have become quicker to load and easier to navigate.
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...