News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Walmart scores on Facebook, Target on Twitter
If you wonder how the biggest brands are doing in the social space, a new report from Unmetric is for you - and according to their research it's a different story for each brand. Walmart, finds the report, is scoring big on Facebook while Target is taking their power to the tweet and winning on Twitter.
• 17 millions fans have 'liked' Facebook - Target has 14 million Facebook fans, Kohl's has 7 million
• Target has 339,000 followers on Twitter - Nordstrom has 182,000, Walmart has 156,000
• Target is leading in Facebook growth, however, up 83% over the past 6 months
"Commercial retail has long been an American way of life," said Unmetric CEO, Lux Narayan, "but in the era of social media, these stores are looking for ways to directly engage with their shoppers online and compete for customers. The Unmetric Top Retailer Report looks deep inside the social media strategies of the top US retailers to decipher who's actually winning on Facebook and Twitter."
Perhaps more important than the number of followers, though, is how these brands are engaging their followers and fans. Nordstrom, for example, may be the winner when it comes to how their act and react in the social space. The retail giant uses Twitter to start conversation, typically responds to tweets in under 2 hours; 92% of their tweets are replies.
Comparatively, Walmart responds to tweets in about 90 minutes but only about 7% of their tweets are replies, so they may not be responding to everything 'out there'. And, even though Walmart leads the fan-race on Facebook, Target has a higher Unmetric engagement score - meaning their fewer followers are 1) responding/commenting on statuses and 2) sharing statuses more often than Walmart's followers and fans.
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...