News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Walmart scores on Facebook, Target on Twitter
If you wonder how the biggest brands are doing in the social space, a new report from Unmetric is for you - and according to their research it's a different story for each brand. Walmart, finds the report, is scoring big on Facebook while Target is taking their power to the tweet and winning on Twitter.
• 17 millions fans have 'liked' Facebook - Target has 14 million Facebook fans, Kohl's has 7 million
• Target has 339,000 followers on Twitter - Nordstrom has 182,000, Walmart has 156,000
• Target is leading in Facebook growth, however, up 83% over the past 6 months
"Commercial retail has long been an American way of life," said Unmetric CEO, Lux Narayan, "but in the era of social media, these stores are looking for ways to directly engage with their shoppers online and compete for customers. The Unmetric Top Retailer Report looks deep inside the social media strategies of the top US retailers to decipher who's actually winning on Facebook and Twitter."
Perhaps more important than the number of followers, though, is how these brands are engaging their followers and fans. Nordstrom, for example, may be the winner when it comes to how their act and react in the social space. The retail giant uses Twitter to start conversation, typically responds to tweets in under 2 hours; 92% of their tweets are replies.
Comparatively, Walmart responds to tweets in about 90 minutes but only about 7% of their tweets are replies, so they may not be responding to everything 'out there'. And, even though Walmart leads the fan-race on Facebook, Target has a higher Unmetric engagement score - meaning their fewer followers are 1) responding/commenting on statuses and 2) sharing statuses more often than Walmart's followers and fans.
- Survey highlights importance of returns process to consumer loyalty
- 45% of marketers to invest in events during 2015
- Barclays Bank launches Twitter payments
- Advertising for young children looks promising on a new YouTube app for kids
- Twitter responses to customer queries slow and sloppy
- App channel worth over £4 billion to UK brands
- Facebook: 2 million advertisers milestone and new mobile ad manager
- Alternative to Dropbox and Box
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- How to Promote and Measure Hashtag Campaigns
A single hashtag can connect your brand messaging across each of the major social networks. Learn how hashtags can be...