News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Shoppers hitting stores earlier, doing more research
One trend that may help online merchants this year: the mobile trend. According to a recent study from Google and Ipsos OTX shoppers are hitting stores, both online and offline, early this year. And while they're shopping they're also doing more product research through both PC and mobile devices to inform their purchases.
According to the study most holiday shoppers (80%) will research a product online before buying over the 2012 holidays and they'll do so on different devices. About half will research online and buy offline and about one-third will research online, go to a store to 'see' a product and then buy it online.
• 85% shop via one device but research with a separate device
• 45% will abandon carts this holiday season
• 45% will email links for purchases
Of those who are researching purchases online 13% say they'll watch online video to make decisions and nearly half will look up product reviews through mobile devices pre-purchase.
While shoppers are researching online, they're likely looking for Black Friday sale deals - and many of those flyers have already leaked online. In the US, Black Friday marks the official start ot the holiday shopping season; while that date is still a month away, deal flyers like this one from ACE Hardware have already hit leak sites.
"For retailers, there is no better time to shine than the holiday season, and it's evident that online retailers are already planning to go the extra mile for their customers this year," said Shop.org Executive Director Vicki Cantrell. "Consumers can expect even more of an integrated shopping experience this holiday season with companies also looking to enhance their mobile marketing efforts to capture the attention of the millions of holiday shoppers who are already thinking about their shopping lists."
According to the National Retail Federation just over half of shoppers will begin shopping online for the 2012 holidays.
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...