News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Shoppers hitting stores earlier, doing more research
One trend that may help online merchants this year: the mobile trend. According to a recent study from Google and Ipsos OTX shoppers are hitting stores, both online and offline, early this year. And while they're shopping they're also doing more product research through both PC and mobile devices to inform their purchases.
According to the study most holiday shoppers (80%) will research a product online before buying over the 2012 holidays and they'll do so on different devices. About half will research online and buy offline and about one-third will research online, go to a store to 'see' a product and then buy it online.
• 85% shop via one device but research with a separate device
• 45% will abandon carts this holiday season
• 45% will email links for purchases
Of those who are researching purchases online 13% say they'll watch online video to make decisions and nearly half will look up product reviews through mobile devices pre-purchase.
While shoppers are researching online, they're likely looking for Black Friday sale deals - and many of those flyers have already leaked online. In the US, Black Friday marks the official start ot the holiday shopping season; while that date is still a month away, deal flyers like this one from ACE Hardware have already hit leak sites.
"For retailers, there is no better time to shine than the holiday season, and it's evident that online retailers are already planning to go the extra mile for their customers this year," said Shop.org Executive Director Vicki Cantrell. "Consumers can expect even more of an integrated shopping experience this holiday season with companies also looking to enhance their mobile marketing efforts to capture the attention of the millions of holiday shoppers who are already thinking about their shopping lists."
According to the National Retail Federation just over half of shoppers will begin shopping online for the 2012 holidays.
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...