News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Solve Media: Bots responsible for 10% of online traffic
Solve Media has revealed details of a 20-month study that found an estimated 10% of all online traffic isn't generated by humans - it's the result of bot activity.
Robots, or bots as they're often referred to, are software programs designed to conduct tasks online, often repetitive tasks. For example, bots are instrumental in indexing sites such as Google.
However, there are malicious bots, too, such as those that post comments, create fake accounts, buy up large numbers of concert tickets or click on an online ad.
Using a proprietary algorithm to analyze ad impressions, Solve Media was able to identify malicious bot activity. Their latest analysis reveals an estimated 10% of all online traffic isn't human.
Based on eMarketer's recent estimate that $15.3 billion will be spent globally on online ads in 2012, bots could be wasting $1.5 billion of ad spend.
"The existence of non-human traffic is an issue that affects the entire digital ad ecosystem," said Kirby Winfield, SVP of Corporate Development, comScore. "comScore research has shown that a significant percentage of ad campaigns are delivered against non-human traffic, which represents waste for advertisers that can diminish their confidence in the medium."
According to Solve Media's study, the U.S. generates the largest amount of bot traffic (16%).
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...