News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Solve Media: Bots responsible for 10% of online traffic
Solve Media has revealed details of a 20-month study that found an estimated 10% of all online traffic isn't generated by humans - it's the result of bot activity.
Robots, or bots as they're often referred to, are software programs designed to conduct tasks online, often repetitive tasks. For example, bots are instrumental in indexing sites such as Google.
However, there are malicious bots, too, such as those that post comments, create fake accounts, buy up large numbers of concert tickets or click on an online ad.
Using a proprietary algorithm to analyze ad impressions, Solve Media was able to identify malicious bot activity. Their latest analysis reveals an estimated 10% of all online traffic isn't human.
Based on eMarketer's recent estimate that $15.3 billion will be spent globally on online ads in 2012, bots could be wasting $1.5 billion of ad spend.
"The existence of non-human traffic is an issue that affects the entire digital ad ecosystem," said Kirby Winfield, SVP of Corporate Development, comScore. "comScore research has shown that a significant percentage of ad campaigns are delivered against non-human traffic, which represents waste for advertisers that can diminish their confidence in the medium."
According to Solve Media's study, the U.S. generates the largest amount of bot traffic (16%).
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...