News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Skrill: Fumbling with loose change soon a thing of the past
New research released this week by online payment solutions firm Skrill reveals the increasing use of alternative payments and the decreasing use of cash by shoppers in the UK.
Credit cards, debit cards, digital wallets and mobile payment solutions are slowly eroding the need to carry cash in the UK.
In fact, according to UK-based Skrill, 1 in 3 UK consumers now carry less than five UK Pounds in cash ($8), barely enough to buy a coffee and snack in a cafe. One in 20 already go about their day cashless, and another 13% would be happy to give up cash today.
"Consumers are finding it quicker and easier to click a button than fumble with their change. With only 3% of payments in Sweden still made in cash, the coming years are going to see radical changes in this area," says Siegfried Heimgaertner, Skrill CEO.
In terms of the future of notes and coins, over 1 in 5 UK consumers believe physical money will disappear within the next twenty years with a third (32%) saying they believe they will use less cash over the next ten years. Already, UK consumers are using cash to pay for less than a third of their weekly purchases and become annoyed when a store they visit only accepts cash.
Over half of Brits believe digital wallets or online cash transfers will increase over the next five years, while 42% said they will use their debit cards more. Today's youngsters are familiar and comfortable with online and mobile technology, and there's little doubt the move towards a cashless society will speed up as they begin to earn and spend.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...