News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Seasonal shoppers' layaway interest fueled by economy
A new survey, conducted by Harris Interactive for CouponCabin.com, reveals the economy is fueling consumers' interest in layaways this holiday season.
In the survey of 2,339 shoppers, over a third (34%) said they were at least somewhat likely to purchase items using layaways this holiday season. Nine percent said they were very likely to do so and 29% said maybe.
"Layaway can be a smart option for holiday shoppers on a budget, as it forces shoppers to be disciplined about saving and reduces impulse purchases," said Jackie Warrick, president and CEO at CouponCabin.com.
Furthermore, it avoids the use of credit cards and incurring interest - a habit many consumers are more wary of since being bitten by recessions - and is an option for those with bad credit ratings.
When asked what they perceive to be the benefits of layaway programs, the U.S. consumers said:
- 54% said it allows them to spread the cost of larger purchases;
- 52% said it helps with budgeting;
- 46% said negates the need to use a credit card;
- 43% said it helps with planning;
- 43% like to be able to reserve an item, particularly if it's a popular product; and
- 33% like that there is no requirement for a good credit rating to use a layaway program.
However, layaway programs do often charge a fee. Walmart retain the $5 service charge if a layaway is canceled. Kmart charges a contract fee and also a $10 fee for a cancellation.
- Ad Roundup: New tools to track, serve ads
- How to maximize your content marketing strategy
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...