News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Seasonal shoppers' layaway interest fueled by economy
A new survey, conducted by Harris Interactive for CouponCabin.com, reveals the economy is fueling consumers' interest in layaways this holiday season.
In the survey of 2,339 shoppers, over a third (34%) said they were at least somewhat likely to purchase items using layaways this holiday season. Nine percent said they were very likely to do so and 29% said maybe.
"Layaway can be a smart option for holiday shoppers on a budget, as it forces shoppers to be disciplined about saving and reduces impulse purchases," said Jackie Warrick, president and CEO at CouponCabin.com.
Furthermore, it avoids the use of credit cards and incurring interest - a habit many consumers are more wary of since being bitten by recessions - and is an option for those with bad credit ratings.
When asked what they perceive to be the benefits of layaway programs, the U.S. consumers said:
- 54% said it allows them to spread the cost of larger purchases;
- 52% said it helps with budgeting;
- 46% said negates the need to use a credit card;
- 43% said it helps with planning;
- 43% like to be able to reserve an item, particularly if it's a popular product; and
- 33% like that there is no requirement for a good credit rating to use a layaway program.
However, layaway programs do often charge a fee. Walmart retain the $5 service charge if a layaway is canceled. Kmart charges a contract fee and also a $10 fee for a cancellation.
- Expert: Why brands should consider the subscription box
- Retail trends to watch for 2017
- Expert: Tips for a more productive 2017
- Consumers more likely to click on ads featuring user-generated photography
- Personalized offers on mobile drive consumers in-store
- Marketers prioritizing social media for product launches
- Reports: Mobile hot but not everyone is buying
- Ad Roundup: Acquisition, launch to add layers of control
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...