News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Seasonal shoppers' layaway interest fueled by economy
A new survey, conducted by Harris Interactive for CouponCabin.com, reveals the economy is fueling consumers' interest in layaways this holiday season.
In the survey of 2,339 shoppers, over a third (34%) said they were at least somewhat likely to purchase items using layaways this holiday season. Nine percent said they were very likely to do so and 29% said maybe.
"Layaway can be a smart option for holiday shoppers on a budget, as it forces shoppers to be disciplined about saving and reduces impulse purchases," said Jackie Warrick, president and CEO at CouponCabin.com.
Furthermore, it avoids the use of credit cards and incurring interest - a habit many consumers are more wary of since being bitten by recessions - and is an option for those with bad credit ratings.
When asked what they perceive to be the benefits of layaway programs, the U.S. consumers said:
- 54% said it allows them to spread the cost of larger purchases;
- 52% said it helps with budgeting;
- 46% said negates the need to use a credit card;
- 43% said it helps with planning;
- 43% like to be able to reserve an item, particularly if it's a popular product; and
- 33% like that there is no requirement for a good credit rating to use a layaway program.
However, layaway programs do often charge a fee. Walmart retain the $5 service charge if a layaway is canceled. Kmart charges a contract fee and also a $10 fee for a cancellation.
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....