News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers must keep up with next wave of technology or risk sales
Just as retailers are getting to grips with mobile and tablet technology, they're told that if they hesitate to invest in the next wave of technology they risk losing out on sales.
Interactive TV, image recognition, smart devices, augmented reality and other in-store technologies are set to revolutionize retail in the UK, according to research from eBay. And we're not talking too far in the future.
These technologies could boost UK retail sales by a significant $3.8 billion (GBP 2.4 billion) by 2014, says eBay, the equivalent of 8% of online retail sales in the country that year.
"Technology is changing the way consumers shop and has the potential to provide a valuable lifeline to the retail sector," said Angus McCarey, UK Retail Director for eBay.
"Previously, consumers viewed online and offline shopping as distinct, but that's no longer the case. Today they don't see a channel, but a brand. Retailers who embrace these technologies to deliver an integrated and seamless multi-channel shopping experience will be the ones who survive, and ultimately, thrive."
But, according to eBay's research, almost 4 in 10 (38%) UK retailers have no plans to implement these 'third wave' technologies any time soon. Apart from confusion over the sheer number of new technologies, retailers aren't sure which are applicable to their business and have concerns about upfront investment.
The challenge for UK retailers is which technology is the best to invest in, and when. Hesitation to adopt 'third wave' technologies could see many get left behind.
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...