News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers must keep up with next wave of technology or risk sales
Just as retailers are getting to grips with mobile and tablet technology, they're told that if they hesitate to invest in the next wave of technology they risk losing out on sales.
Interactive TV, image recognition, smart devices, augmented reality and other in-store technologies are set to revolutionize retail in the UK, according to research from eBay. And we're not talking too far in the future.
These technologies could boost UK retail sales by a significant $3.8 billion (GBP 2.4 billion) by 2014, says eBay, the equivalent of 8% of online retail sales in the country that year.
"Technology is changing the way consumers shop and has the potential to provide a valuable lifeline to the retail sector," said Angus McCarey, UK Retail Director for eBay.
"Previously, consumers viewed online and offline shopping as distinct, but that's no longer the case. Today they don't see a channel, but a brand. Retailers who embrace these technologies to deliver an integrated and seamless multi-channel shopping experience will be the ones who survive, and ultimately, thrive."
But, according to eBay's research, almost 4 in 10 (38%) UK retailers have no plans to implement these 'third wave' technologies any time soon. Apart from confusion over the sheer number of new technologies, retailers aren't sure which are applicable to their business and have concerns about upfront investment.
The challenge for UK retailers is which technology is the best to invest in, and when. Hesitation to adopt 'third wave' technologies could see many get left behind.
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...