News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers must keep up with next wave of technology or risk sales
Just as retailers are getting to grips with mobile and tablet technology, they're told that if they hesitate to invest in the next wave of technology they risk losing out on sales.
Interactive TV, image recognition, smart devices, augmented reality and other in-store technologies are set to revolutionize retail in the UK, according to research from eBay. And we're not talking too far in the future.
These technologies could boost UK retail sales by a significant $3.8 billion (GBP 2.4 billion) by 2014, says eBay, the equivalent of 8% of online retail sales in the country that year.
"Technology is changing the way consumers shop and has the potential to provide a valuable lifeline to the retail sector," said Angus McCarey, UK Retail Director for eBay.
"Previously, consumers viewed online and offline shopping as distinct, but that's no longer the case. Today they don't see a channel, but a brand. Retailers who embrace these technologies to deliver an integrated and seamless multi-channel shopping experience will be the ones who survive, and ultimately, thrive."
But, according to eBay's research, almost 4 in 10 (38%) UK retailers have no plans to implement these 'third wave' technologies any time soon. Apart from confusion over the sheer number of new technologies, retailers aren't sure which are applicable to their business and have concerns about upfront investment.
The challenge for UK retailers is which technology is the best to invest in, and when. Hesitation to adopt 'third wave' technologies could see many get left behind.
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...