News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
QR code response rates in print magazines higher than direct mail
New research reveals that mobile action codes in print magazines deliver a better response rate than traditional forms of direct mail.
Over 2,200 mobile action codes, such as QR Codes, image recognition and digital watermarks, were used in the U.S.'s top print magazines in the second quarter of 2012, up 61% on the previous quarter.
The number of ads containing mobile action codes rose from 5% last year to a current 10% as more and more magazines and advertisers embrace print-to-mobile marketing strategies.
New figures from mobile marketing and technology services firm Nellymoser reveal that such action codes in magazines are delivering a better response rate than traditional forms of direct mail.
According to the Direct Marketing Association, typical response rates are 4.4% for direct mail (overall), 4.3% for catalogs and 3.4% for a direct mail letter. However Nellymoser's study, conducted using their Companion App, found that average response rates from mobile action codes ranged from 4.5% to 5.9%.
"The response rate ranged from 0.7% to 26.8%. The average, weighted by circulation and removing the high and lowest scores, was 6.4%," explains Nellymoser on its website. "The app remained open about 10 minutes for each visit. During those 10 minutes, they viewed nearly 19 mobile pages -- an average of about 30 seconds per page. This suggests that the user was actively interacting with the magazine while using the app. Each visitor returned to visit 1.4 additional times for additional engagement (an average of 2.4 visits)."
Of all the mobile action code types, Nellymoser found that QR Codes dominated the second quarter with a more than 80% share. The use of Digimarc watermarks is on the rise up from just five codes in the whole of 2011 to 96 codes in the first half of 2012.
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...