News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Mobile device ownership soars in the U.S.
Ownership of mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets, is up significantly from a year ago, according to new figures released by the Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism.
Almost half (44%) of U.S. adults now own a smartphone, according to Pew, up from 35% in May, 2011.
Tablet ownership has also doubled since May, 2011, now standing at 22% of U.S. adults. The Pew survey, conducted in collaboration with The Economist Group among over 9,500 U.S. adults, found that more affordable Android-based tablets drove up the number of tablet users.
Of the 22% who own tablets, over half (52%) own an iPad, However, that figure is down from 81% a year ago while 48% now own an Android-based tablet.
Of those who do not yet own a tablet, 23% plan to get one in the next six months.
Pew's survey also found that one-third use their mobile devices to view news stories and video clips at least once a week.
The findings have "major implications for how news will be consumed and paid for," says Pew. Only 20% of the mobile news users surveyed said they paid for an online subscription in the last year.
"Perhaps most pressing for the industry, the survey shows continued resistance to paying for content on mobile devices," said Pew in a recent press release. "More mobile news users have print-only subscriptions than have digital ones. Just 24% of them are considering exchanging their print subscription for a digital one (though these tend to be younger subscribers, which suggests their numbers will grow)."
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...