News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Mobile device ownership soars in the U.S.
Ownership of mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets, is up significantly from a year ago, according to new figures released by the Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism.
Almost half (44%) of U.S. adults now own a smartphone, according to Pew, up from 35% in May, 2011.
Tablet ownership has also doubled since May, 2011, now standing at 22% of U.S. adults. The Pew survey, conducted in collaboration with The Economist Group among over 9,500 U.S. adults, found that more affordable Android-based tablets drove up the number of tablet users.
Of the 22% who own tablets, over half (52%) own an iPad, However, that figure is down from 81% a year ago while 48% now own an Android-based tablet.
Of those who do not yet own a tablet, 23% plan to get one in the next six months.
Pew's survey also found that one-third use their mobile devices to view news stories and video clips at least once a week.
The findings have "major implications for how news will be consumed and paid for," says Pew. Only 20% of the mobile news users surveyed said they paid for an online subscription in the last year.
"Perhaps most pressing for the industry, the survey shows continued resistance to paying for content on mobile devices," said Pew in a recent press release. "More mobile news users have print-only subscriptions than have digital ones. Just 24% of them are considering exchanging their print subscription for a digital one (though these tend to be younger subscribers, which suggests their numbers will grow)."
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...