News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
PC sales projected to fall in 2012 for first time in over a decade
For the first time in over a decade PC sales are dropping, according to new research released by IHS iSuppli, as advances in mobile devices and apps attract the eyes, and pockets, of consumers.
For the first time since 2001, personal computer sales are projected to decrease in 2012, says HIS iSuppli.
The new figures, released on Wednesday, show a 1.2% drop in PC sales this year, compared to 2011, dropping from 352.8 million sales last year to 348.7 million by the end of 2012.
"There was great hope through the first half that 2012 would prove to be a rebound year for the PC market," said Craig Stice, senior principal analyst for computer systems at IHS.
"Now three quarters through the year, the usual boost from the back-to-school season appears to be a bust, and both AMD and Intel's third-quarter outlooks appear to be flat to down. Optimism has vanished and turned to doubt, and the industry is now training its sights on 2013 to deliver the hoped-for rebound."
The PC industry now pins its hopes to the upcoming launch of Windows 8, scheduled to go on sale in just a couple of weeks. The redesigned operating system works on tablet computers and could boost sales of PCs.
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...