News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ooops! Chitika network error inflates Google's local search volume data
On Monday this week I reported on new research from Chitika that suggested 43% of Google search queries had local intent and three-quarters of the search engine's local traffic came from mobile devices. Well, Chitika got it wrong and today sent me an explanation.
The figures were impressive, showing Google ahead of both Bing and Yahoo in terms of local search volume and mobile traffic. However, Chitika have now become aware of an error that caused the Google figures to be significantly affected.
"Over the weekend we became aware of an inadvertent network error which caused Google mobile search share to be inflated by 19% in this particular study," said Chitika public relations analyst, Andrew Waber, in an email to me today.
The revised Chitika figures show the search engine is more in line with Bing and Yahoo. Local traffic on Google dropped from 43% to 24.2% - a drop of 19% - bringing it more in line with Bing (28.81%) and Yahoo (25.28%).
Similarly, instead of 74% of Google's local traffic attributable to mobile devices the figure now stands at just 16.7%, rather more in line with Yahoo's revised figure of 15.9% and Bing's 5.21%.
Thanks to Andrew for alerting me to the error, and for providing the revised data.
"As with all of our studies, Chitika Insights employs a rigorous set of technical checks to ensure these types of errors do not occur. The error in the system has since been fixed and will not impact any future reports," he said.
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...