News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
OFT: 40% of British websites not compliant with consumer protection law
When British regulator, the Office of Fair Trading, checked out the websites of many popular UK online retailers they found that 1 in 4 were not fully complying with consumer protection law.
Of the 156 websites checked by the Office of Fair Trading, 62 were found not to be compliant. Many still include restricted refund policies and added charges at checkout with no prior warning.
"The OFT recognizes that most businesses want to play fair with their customers and to comply with the law," said Cavendish Elithorn, a senior director at the Office of Fair Trading. "We encourage all online retailers to check their websites so customers can be confident their rights are being respected when they shop online."
Particular concern was expressed due to a third of the websites imposing "unreasonable restrictions" on refunds such as requiring purchases to be returned in the original packaging. While customers are required to return a product in reasonable condition, retailers can not require the packaging to remain intact as this hinders the ability for a purchase to be inspected.
The Office of Fair Trading has written to the 62 websites concerned asking them to rectify any problems before the holiday season gets into full swing.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...