News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
OFT: 40% of British websites not compliant with consumer protection law
When British regulator, the Office of Fair Trading, checked out the websites of many popular UK online retailers they found that 1 in 4 were not fully complying with consumer protection law.
Of the 156 websites checked by the Office of Fair Trading, 62 were found not to be compliant. Many still include restricted refund policies and added charges at checkout with no prior warning.
"The OFT recognizes that most businesses want to play fair with their customers and to comply with the law," said Cavendish Elithorn, a senior director at the Office of Fair Trading. "We encourage all online retailers to check their websites so customers can be confident their rights are being respected when they shop online."
Particular concern was expressed due to a third of the websites imposing "unreasonable restrictions" on refunds such as requiring purchases to be returned in the original packaging. While customers are required to return a product in reasonable condition, retailers can not require the packaging to remain intact as this hinders the ability for a purchase to be inspected.
The Office of Fair Trading has written to the 62 websites concerned asking them to rectify any problems before the holiday season gets into full swing.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...