News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile to overtake TV to become first screen
As people watch more video on their mobile devices, could the television become the second screen? YouTube's Robert Kyncl believes so, and it's not in the too distant future.
YouTube's Global Head of Content, Robert Kyncl, announced at the recent Abu Dhabi Media Summit that smartphones and tablets won't be 'second screens' for much longer. He is confident that watching video content on mobile devices will soon surpass television.
Based on previous mobile traffic figures he could be right. A quarter of total video traffic on YouTube today comes from mobile, up from just 6% eighteen months ago.
The increase in watching mobile, and online, video content comes as consumers opt to watch what they want, where they want, when they want. The limited choice of television is struggling to hold their attention.
Kyncl also said that consumers would soon be syncing their use of mobile video and televisions, something the cable television companies must surely fear.
"When you're making your selections on your phone and you're sending them to the TV, something that is coming very soon [on a mainstream basis], when that transition is seamless, this becomes the first screen," he told the Summit audience.
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...