News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile to overtake TV to become first screen
As people watch more video on their mobile devices, could the television become the second screen? YouTube's Robert Kyncl believes so, and it's not in the too distant future.
YouTube's Global Head of Content, Robert Kyncl, announced at the recent Abu Dhabi Media Summit that smartphones and tablets won't be 'second screens' for much longer. He is confident that watching video content on mobile devices will soon surpass television.
Based on previous mobile traffic figures he could be right. A quarter of total video traffic on YouTube today comes from mobile, up from just 6% eighteen months ago.
The increase in watching mobile, and online, video content comes as consumers opt to watch what they want, where they want, when they want. The limited choice of television is struggling to hold their attention.
Kyncl also said that consumers would soon be syncing their use of mobile video and televisions, something the cable television companies must surely fear.
"When you're making your selections on your phone and you're sending them to the TV, something that is coming very soon [on a mainstream basis], when that transition is seamless, this becomes the first screen," he told the Summit audience.
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....