News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile to overtake TV to become first screen
As people watch more video on their mobile devices, could the television become the second screen? YouTube's Robert Kyncl believes so, and it's not in the too distant future.
YouTube's Global Head of Content, Robert Kyncl, announced at the recent Abu Dhabi Media Summit that smartphones and tablets won't be 'second screens' for much longer. He is confident that watching video content on mobile devices will soon surpass television.
Based on previous mobile traffic figures he could be right. A quarter of total video traffic on YouTube today comes from mobile, up from just 6% eighteen months ago.
The increase in watching mobile, and online, video content comes as consumers opt to watch what they want, where they want, when they want. The limited choice of television is struggling to hold their attention.
Kyncl also said that consumers would soon be syncing their use of mobile video and televisions, something the cable television companies must surely fear.
"When you're making your selections on your phone and you're sending them to the TV, something that is coming very soon [on a mainstream basis], when that transition is seamless, this becomes the first screen," he told the Summit audience.
- Mobile a key ingredient in a Millennial's kitchen
- Expert: The benefits to early EMV conversion
- Top 3 tips to reduce customer churn
- Report: Mobile costs, downloads down
- Latest Facebook workforce diversity report disappoints
- Study highlights differences in email behavior based on age, gender
- How beacons can fail and how to prevent that failure
- The triggers retailers must ID to increase revenue
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...