News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile to overtake TV to become first screen
As people watch more video on their mobile devices, could the television become the second screen? YouTube's Robert Kyncl believes so, and it's not in the too distant future.
YouTube's Global Head of Content, Robert Kyncl, announced at the recent Abu Dhabi Media Summit that smartphones and tablets won't be 'second screens' for much longer. He is confident that watching video content on mobile devices will soon surpass television.
Based on previous mobile traffic figures he could be right. A quarter of total video traffic on YouTube today comes from mobile, up from just 6% eighteen months ago.
The increase in watching mobile, and online, video content comes as consumers opt to watch what they want, where they want, when they want. The limited choice of television is struggling to hold their attention.
Kyncl also said that consumers would soon be syncing their use of mobile video and televisions, something the cable television companies must surely fear.
"When you're making your selections on your phone and you're sending them to the TV, something that is coming very soon [on a mainstream basis], when that transition is seamless, this becomes the first screen," he told the Summit audience.
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
- European Commission forces Google, Apple to make users aware of 'true cost' of an app
- Top 3 tips to improve seasonal marketing plans
- Research: Social media users less likely to post positively about their favorite products
- Twitter preps for new generation of commerce experiences
- iBeacon firm offers free hardware and installation to UK retailers
- Swrve: Report reveals one third of apps get only one minute of attention
Featured White Papers
- Everything You Need to Know About Social Media for Your Business
While social media practitioners must continue to expect and adapt to change, it is important to take note of the...