News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Marin: Facebook ads for Christmas?
One thing that may be different this holiday season? According to new data from Marin Software Facebook ads may get more notice - from shoppers. While data shows that Facebook ads haven't gotten a lot of play to date, that may change over the 2012 holidays.
The Marin report culled data from more than 1800 advertisers and found that shoppers are looking to Facebook - and its ads - over the holiday seasons, even though they may not look to Facebook in other seasons.
"The pressure is on for retailers heading into the holiday season. Based off of what we saw last year, the stretch between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday will be critical to retailers' success as shoppers become increasingly attuned to promotional events during the holidays," said Matt Lawson, vice president of marketing and partnerships at Marin Software. "Similarly, Facebook is an advertising channel that smart marketers should not ignore as our data shows the social site taking on search-like characteristics during the holiday season."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Black Friday saw 300% more revenue from paid search ads (2011 vs. 2010)
• Cyber Monday saw a 260% paid search increase
In fact there were dramatic spikes in Facebook ad clicks over the Thanksgiving holiday in 2011. This should come as no surprise - online ads have shown significant beginning with Thanksgiving Weekend in the past, but it's important to note that researchers found Facebook saw higher click numbers on Cyber Monday than on Black Friday.
As for overall revenue, Marin's research notes an 11% increase in click volume for paid search, mobile and social ads while CPCs dropped 4%.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...