News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Marin: Facebook ads for Christmas?
One thing that may be different this holiday season? According to new data from Marin Software Facebook ads may get more notice - from shoppers. While data shows that Facebook ads haven't gotten a lot of play to date, that may change over the 2012 holidays.
The Marin report culled data from more than 1800 advertisers and found that shoppers are looking to Facebook - and its ads - over the holiday seasons, even though they may not look to Facebook in other seasons.
"The pressure is on for retailers heading into the holiday season. Based off of what we saw last year, the stretch between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday will be critical to retailers' success as shoppers become increasingly attuned to promotional events during the holidays," said Matt Lawson, vice president of marketing and partnerships at Marin Software. "Similarly, Facebook is an advertising channel that smart marketers should not ignore as our data shows the social site taking on search-like characteristics during the holiday season."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Black Friday saw 300% more revenue from paid search ads (2011 vs. 2010)
• Cyber Monday saw a 260% paid search increase
In fact there were dramatic spikes in Facebook ad clicks over the Thanksgiving holiday in 2011. This should come as no surprise - online ads have shown significant beginning with Thanksgiving Weekend in the past, but it's important to note that researchers found Facebook saw higher click numbers on Cyber Monday than on Black Friday.
As for overall revenue, Marin's research notes an 11% increase in click volume for paid search, mobile and social ads while CPCs dropped 4%.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...