News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IAB reports ad revenues at all time high in first half of 2012
The Interactive Advertising Bureau has released new figures that show U.S. online ad revenues in the first half of 2012 reached an all-time high.
In the first six months of 2011, online ad revenues in the U.S. reached $14.9 billion. A 14% year-on-year rise sees the total for the first half of 2012 reach $17 billion - an all-time high.
The biggest contributor to revenues was search ads. Overall they represented nearly half (48%) of revenues in the first half of 2012, up 19% year-on-year.
Unsurprisingly, the IAB found that mobile generated significant growth, up 95% to $1.2 billion in the first half of 2012 compared to $636 million in the first half of 2011.
"The tremendous growth of mobile advertising revenue over the past year is an indication of the importance of location to advertisers and mobility to consumers," said David Silverman, a partner at PwC US. "Bringing the power of the internet to mobile devices has opened up a world of possibilities to both consumers and marketers."
Other highlights from the IAB's report include:
- Retail advertisers accounted for 20% of total revenues ($3.4 billion), the largest category;
- The Automotive category brought in $2.2 billion for the first half of 2012, up to 13% from 2011's 11%;
- Digital video brought in just over $1 billion in the first half of 2012, up from $900 million in the same period during 2011.
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...