News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IAB reports ad revenues at all time high in first half of 2012
The Interactive Advertising Bureau has released new figures that show U.S. online ad revenues in the first half of 2012 reached an all-time high.
In the first six months of 2011, online ad revenues in the U.S. reached $14.9 billion. A 14% year-on-year rise sees the total for the first half of 2012 reach $17 billion - an all-time high.
The biggest contributor to revenues was search ads. Overall they represented nearly half (48%) of revenues in the first half of 2012, up 19% year-on-year.
Unsurprisingly, the IAB found that mobile generated significant growth, up 95% to $1.2 billion in the first half of 2012 compared to $636 million in the first half of 2011.
"The tremendous growth of mobile advertising revenue over the past year is an indication of the importance of location to advertisers and mobility to consumers," said David Silverman, a partner at PwC US. "Bringing the power of the internet to mobile devices has opened up a world of possibilities to both consumers and marketers."
Other highlights from the IAB's report include:
- Retail advertisers accounted for 20% of total revenues ($3.4 billion), the largest category;
- The Automotive category brought in $2.2 billion for the first half of 2012, up to 13% from 2011's 11%;
- Digital video brought in just over $1 billion in the first half of 2012, up from $900 million in the same period during 2011.
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...