News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's 'Disavow Links' tool a last resort against negative SEO
A much-anticipated tool for webmasters has finally been announced by Google. The search engine now enables webmasters to take control of undesirable links and ask that they be disregarded for ranking purposes.
dis•a•vow/ˌdisəˈvou/ Verb: Deny any responsibility or support for. Synonyms: deny - disclaim - repudiate - disown - gainsay - renounce
Google has announced the introduction of the 'Disavow Links' tool. Webmasters who believe their site's ranking is being harmed by low-quality links from spam sites can now take control and ask Google not to take them into account when assessing ranking.
In the updated help section Google explains that the primary function of the 'Disavow Links' tool is to help clean up if you've hired a bad SEO or made link-building mistakes in the past, but not until after you've tried a few other things first.
"If you know of bad link-building done on your behalf (e.g., paid posts or paid links that pass PageRank), we recommend that you contact the sites that link to you and try to get links taken off the public web first," advises Google. "You're also helping to protect your site's image, since people will no longer find spammy links and jump to conclusions about your website or business."
Only then, if you're unable to get a few back-links taken down, should the 'Disavow Links' tool be used. However, if you disavow a link in error it could be some time before that link is reinstated, if ever, so caution is advised.
Similarly, the discounting of links to a website won't begin straight away. It could take a number of weeks before it comes into effect.
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...