News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's 'Disavow Links' tool a last resort against negative SEO
A much-anticipated tool for webmasters has finally been announced by Google. The search engine now enables webmasters to take control of undesirable links and ask that they be disregarded for ranking purposes.
dis•a•vow/ˌdisəˈvou/ Verb: Deny any responsibility or support for. Synonyms: deny - disclaim - repudiate - disown - gainsay - renounce
Google has announced the introduction of the 'Disavow Links' tool. Webmasters who believe their site's ranking is being harmed by low-quality links from spam sites can now take control and ask Google not to take them into account when assessing ranking.
In the updated help section Google explains that the primary function of the 'Disavow Links' tool is to help clean up if you've hired a bad SEO or made link-building mistakes in the past, but not until after you've tried a few other things first.
"If you know of bad link-building done on your behalf (e.g., paid posts or paid links that pass PageRank), we recommend that you contact the sites that link to you and try to get links taken off the public web first," advises Google. "You're also helping to protect your site's image, since people will no longer find spammy links and jump to conclusions about your website or business."
Only then, if you're unable to get a few back-links taken down, should the 'Disavow Links' tool be used. However, if you disavow a link in error it could be some time before that link is reinstated, if ever, so caution is advised.
Similarly, the discounting of links to a website won't begin straight away. It could take a number of weeks before it comes into effect.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...