News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's disappointing Q3 earnings good news for advertisers
Almost $11 billion in revenue wasn't enough from Google to keep Wall Street happy, and shares have taken a bit of a tumble since Wednesday but, according to Wordstream's Larry Kim, a closer look at the data reveals some positives for both Google and advertisers.
When a company makes virtually all (94%) of its revenue from online advertising, an announcement that the average cost for ads has dropped doesn't appear to be good news.
However, Wordstream's comprehensive analysis of Google's data has put a different spin on the matter for both advertisers and the tech giant.
The good news for advertisers is obvious - they'll pay less to advertise. Wordstream's analysis shows that advertisers will be paying between 16% and 18% less than they did a few months ago.
But, isn't that bad news for Google? No, says Larry Kim, CEO and Founder of Wordstream.
"It's actually really good news for Google, too ... even though Wall Street cheers when the cost-per-click goes up and Google gets more money from advertisers ... that's not sustainable," he told VentureBeat. "By increasing the available impressions and clicks and lowering the costs, more advertisers will see more value from online advertising and that will be beneficial for Google in the long run."
Wordstream also revealed some mind-boggling stats from their research including:
- Google makes over $100 million per day via AdWords search and display advertising;
- Google search ads had 5.5 billion impressions per day in Q3;
- Google Display Network had 25.6 billion impressions per day in Q3;
- It would take you 178 years with no sleep to read through ALL the search ads Google serves up in a single day;
- More people click on Google Ads every day than the entire population of Brazil.
- Study: What consumers really want from loyalty programs
- Top 4 Tips to Manage Relationship Between Developers, Marketers
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...