News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's disappointing Q3 earnings good news for advertisers
Almost $11 billion in revenue wasn't enough from Google to keep Wall Street happy, and shares have taken a bit of a tumble since Wednesday but, according to Wordstream's Larry Kim, a closer look at the data reveals some positives for both Google and advertisers.
When a company makes virtually all (94%) of its revenue from online advertising, an announcement that the average cost for ads has dropped doesn't appear to be good news.
However, Wordstream's comprehensive analysis of Google's data has put a different spin on the matter for both advertisers and the tech giant.
The good news for advertisers is obvious - they'll pay less to advertise. Wordstream's analysis shows that advertisers will be paying between 16% and 18% less than they did a few months ago.
But, isn't that bad news for Google? No, says Larry Kim, CEO and Founder of Wordstream.
"It's actually really good news for Google, too ... even though Wall Street cheers when the cost-per-click goes up and Google gets more money from advertisers ... that's not sustainable," he told VentureBeat. "By increasing the available impressions and clicks and lowering the costs, more advertisers will see more value from online advertising and that will be beneficial for Google in the long run."
Wordstream also revealed some mind-boggling stats from their research including:
- Google makes over $100 million per day via AdWords search and display advertising;
- Google search ads had 5.5 billion impressions per day in Q3;
- Google Display Network had 25.6 billion impressions per day in Q3;
- It would take you 178 years with no sleep to read through ALL the search ads Google serves up in a single day;
- More people click on Google Ads every day than the entire population of Brazil.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...