News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's disappointing Q3 earnings good news for advertisers
Almost $11 billion in revenue wasn't enough from Google to keep Wall Street happy, and shares have taken a bit of a tumble since Wednesday but, according to Wordstream's Larry Kim, a closer look at the data reveals some positives for both Google and advertisers.
When a company makes virtually all (94%) of its revenue from online advertising, an announcement that the average cost for ads has dropped doesn't appear to be good news.
However, Wordstream's comprehensive analysis of Google's data has put a different spin on the matter for both advertisers and the tech giant.
The good news for advertisers is obvious - they'll pay less to advertise. Wordstream's analysis shows that advertisers will be paying between 16% and 18% less than they did a few months ago.
But, isn't that bad news for Google? No, says Larry Kim, CEO and Founder of Wordstream.
"It's actually really good news for Google, too ... even though Wall Street cheers when the cost-per-click goes up and Google gets more money from advertisers ... that's not sustainable," he told VentureBeat. "By increasing the available impressions and clicks and lowering the costs, more advertisers will see more value from online advertising and that will be beneficial for Google in the long run."
Wordstream also revealed some mind-boggling stats from their research including:
- Google makes over $100 million per day via AdWords search and display advertising;
- Google search ads had 5.5 billion impressions per day in Q3;
- Google Display Network had 25.6 billion impressions per day in Q3;
- It would take you 178 years with no sleep to read through ALL the search ads Google serves up in a single day;
- More people click on Google Ads every day than the entire population of Brazil.
- Top 4 email worst practices and solutions
- Ad Roundup: Releases, partnerships focus on data
- Expert: How SMB owners can embrace the CMO title
- New AI technology optimizes mobile video ad campaigns
- eSports' social following growing faster than traditional sports
- Omnichannel retail strategy key to SME success
- UK: Post-Brexit sees rise in overseas online orders
- Study: Time spent with top 100 apps up 10%
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...