News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Flurry: Tablets are 'media machines', users skew older
Mobile analytics firm Flurry has released a new study revealing the differences in how different age groups adopt and use tablets and smartphones.
Flurry analyzed 6 billion app sessions across 500 million mobile devices and found that tablets are 'media machines' on which users spend more time playing games and consuming entertainment content than on smartphones.
How much more? According to Peter Farago, vice president of marketing for Flurry, 71% more time.
"On average, consumers use apps on smartphones more frequently but for shorter periods of time. With consumers using tablets more for media consumption, and during the evenings, this stands to reason," writes Farago on the company blog.
"Conversely, consumers use their smartphones for shorter periods of time across more sessions over the course of a day to complete tasks like checking into social networks and using utility apps."
Furthermore, tablets users are, on average, older than smartphone users. Nearly three quarters of smartphone users are 34 years of age or younger, while more than two thirds of tablet user are 25 years or older.
When it comes to gender, there is very little difference in tablet use (49% female vs 51% male). This gap widens slightly with smartphone use (44% female vs. 56% male).
"Traditionally, males adopt technology devices more than women," says Farago. "With an even gender split for tablets, this bucks the trend, indicated that tablets likely have more long-term mass-market appeal."
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....