News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Flurry: Tablets are 'media machines', users skew older
Mobile analytics firm Flurry has released a new study revealing the differences in how different age groups adopt and use tablets and smartphones.
Flurry analyzed 6 billion app sessions across 500 million mobile devices and found that tablets are 'media machines' on which users spend more time playing games and consuming entertainment content than on smartphones.
How much more? According to Peter Farago, vice president of marketing for Flurry, 71% more time.
"On average, consumers use apps on smartphones more frequently but for shorter periods of time. With consumers using tablets more for media consumption, and during the evenings, this stands to reason," writes Farago on the company blog.
"Conversely, consumers use their smartphones for shorter periods of time across more sessions over the course of a day to complete tasks like checking into social networks and using utility apps."
Furthermore, tablets users are, on average, older than smartphone users. Nearly three quarters of smartphone users are 34 years of age or younger, while more than two thirds of tablet user are 25 years or older.
When it comes to gender, there is very little difference in tablet use (49% female vs 51% male). This gap widens slightly with smartphone use (44% female vs. 56% male).
"Traditionally, males adopt technology devices more than women," says Farago. "With an even gender split for tablets, this bucks the trend, indicated that tablets likely have more long-term mass-market appeal."
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...