News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Few UK B2B firms use social for lead or demand generation
B2B companies are focusing social media activities around brand awareness, finds a new survey from Eloqua, while lead generation and demand generation strategies take a back seat.
In its survey of 296 UK B2B marketers, marketing automation firm Eloqua found that over two-thirds (64%) use social media to promote their company. Of those, the vast majority (83%) use social media for brand awareness.
However, lead and demand generation activities are rarely on the social media agenda. In fact, in terms of social media ownership, demand generation departments are ranked last, way behind product marketing, PR/communications and the website departments.
According to Eloqua's findings, just 35% of respondents use social media to create a demand for their product or services. Even less (22%) use social media to collect data for lead generation purposes.
And yet, both lead and demand activities, while separate, can work well together in social media. Demand generation campaigns create curiosity in a product or service after which lead generation campaigns can run to capture that interest.
"A lack of clear strategy around social and demand generation is holding companies back. Marketers still feel the pressure to 'go social' and improve awareness across social channels but for those involved in lead generation, integrating social throughout the process remains somewhat of a mystery," said Heidi Melin, CMO, Eloqua.
"While UK marketers may be missing an opportunity today, the good news is that there are now tools and technologies available to help them socially engage with prospects at each step of the buyer's journey," added Melin, referring to her company's product, Social Suite, a collection of apps aimed at improving B2B social marketing capabilities.
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...