News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Few UK B2B firms use social for lead or demand generation
B2B companies are focusing social media activities around brand awareness, finds a new survey from Eloqua, while lead generation and demand generation strategies take a back seat.
In its survey of 296 UK B2B marketers, marketing automation firm Eloqua found that over two-thirds (64%) use social media to promote their company. Of those, the vast majority (83%) use social media for brand awareness.
However, lead and demand generation activities are rarely on the social media agenda. In fact, in terms of social media ownership, demand generation departments are ranked last, way behind product marketing, PR/communications and the website departments.
According to Eloqua's findings, just 35% of respondents use social media to create a demand for their product or services. Even less (22%) use social media to collect data for lead generation purposes.
And yet, both lead and demand activities, while separate, can work well together in social media. Demand generation campaigns create curiosity in a product or service after which lead generation campaigns can run to capture that interest.
"A lack of clear strategy around social and demand generation is holding companies back. Marketers still feel the pressure to 'go social' and improve awareness across social channels but for those involved in lead generation, integrating social throughout the process remains somewhat of a mystery," said Heidi Melin, CMO, Eloqua.
"While UK marketers may be missing an opportunity today, the good news is that there are now tools and technologies available to help them socially engage with prospects at each step of the buyer's journey," added Melin, referring to her company's product, Social Suite, a collection of apps aimed at improving B2B social marketing capabilities.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...