News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook tops global brands list
When it comes to brands making a splash around the globe, none is bigger than The Social Network. That would be Facebook. According to new data in from General Sentiment, Facebook now tops the Global Brands List - ahead of search giant Google and Apple, even with Apple's release of iPhone 5.
"This quarter, we have seen major movement in the list. Facebook usurped the top spot, and the technology leaders who have historically dominated the list - Apple, Google, Amazon.com, Microsoft - have slipped," said Pete Moran, CEO of General Sentiment. "Interestingly, MTV jumped up from fifteen to fourth. It just goes to show you how powerful social is in the TV industry."
Facebook's lucky number - $751M in Impact Media Value, leads Apple ($657M IMV) and Google ($547M IMV). IMV tracks the sentiment attached to media mentions, assigning positive values to brands mentioned, measuring the reach and from there valuing the exposure of the conversation on the brand.
Also among the top five are MTV and Amazon.com. What's interesting about the top 3 is that Apple surpassed Google, even though many consumers have been critical of the iOS 6 Maps fiasco that took Google Maps off their smartphones; meanwhile Amazon dropped to fifth place as the US government required the online retailer to begin collecting taxes in several states; also Walmart stopped carrying their Kindle products.
As for Perception Media Value - value based on the quality of the exposure created - brands including JPMorgan, Louis Vuiton and AutoZone topped the list. Among brands falling off, Chevron, FedEx and AES Corporation all took a tumble in Q3 2012.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...