News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook shares rise after positive mobile ad revenue report
It's been a tough year for Facebook after a disappointing IPO and second quarter results. But things are looking up for the social network after the latest mobile ad revenue figures were revealed earlier this week.
Facebook's stock fell 39% since the IPO in May but, after reporting that it now gets 14% of ad revenues from mobile advertising, the share price is going in the right direction for investors.
"This certainly dispels the most bearish view, that Facebook couldn't monetize people on phones or tablets," said Colin Sebastian, an analyst with Robert Baird & Co. "In about a six-month period they've actually started to generate decent revenues form their mobile applications."
Mobile ads generated about $150 million during Q3, compared with between $40 million and $50 million in the second quarter and next to nothing in Q1.
Many Facebook users now access the social network via mobile - 60% compared to 37% a year ago. During September, approximately 126 million MAU accessed Facebook only via mobile devices, up from 24% in June.
Zuckerberg, who says mobile is the "most misunderstood aspect" of the company, emphasized that as consumers abandon desktops in favor of mobile devices, mobile revenues will continue to rise.
Overall ad revenue rose 36% to $1.09 billion in Q3, up 28% on the previous quarter.
- Questionable activity on social media turns consumers away from brands
- Study: Still a disconnect between data, growth
- Expert: How SMBs can be more productive
- Study: Transparency important to CPG buyers
- Report outlines the impact on brands of email fraud
- Millennials losing faith in traditional banks, trust tech firms more
- Report finds 'last mile' issues continue to dismay consumers
- Consumer satisfaction with mobile commerce falling
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...