News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook shares rise after positive mobile ad revenue report
It's been a tough year for Facebook after a disappointing IPO and second quarter results. But things are looking up for the social network after the latest mobile ad revenue figures were revealed earlier this week.
Facebook's stock fell 39% since the IPO in May but, after reporting that it now gets 14% of ad revenues from mobile advertising, the share price is going in the right direction for investors.
"This certainly dispels the most bearish view, that Facebook couldn't monetize people on phones or tablets," said Colin Sebastian, an analyst with Robert Baird & Co. "In about a six-month period they've actually started to generate decent revenues form their mobile applications."
Mobile ads generated about $150 million during Q3, compared with between $40 million and $50 million in the second quarter and next to nothing in Q1.
Many Facebook users now access the social network via mobile - 60% compared to 37% a year ago. During September, approximately 126 million MAU accessed Facebook only via mobile devices, up from 24% in June.
Zuckerberg, who says mobile is the "most misunderstood aspect" of the company, emphasized that as consumers abandon desktops in favor of mobile devices, mobile revenues will continue to rise.
Overall ad revenue rose 36% to $1.09 billion in Q3, up 28% on the previous quarter.
- How to tell if interactions are successful or not
- Report: In case of emergency, try cell
- Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
- Home pages of retail websites failing to load fast enough
- U.K. ecommerce websites improve delivery options to tap overseas customers
- Forecast: More to invest in multi-screen ads
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
- Top 3 tips for SMBs using webinars
Featured White Papers
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...