News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook shares rise after positive mobile ad revenue report
It's been a tough year for Facebook after a disappointing IPO and second quarter results. But things are looking up for the social network after the latest mobile ad revenue figures were revealed earlier this week.
Facebook's stock fell 39% since the IPO in May but, after reporting that it now gets 14% of ad revenues from mobile advertising, the share price is going in the right direction for investors.
"This certainly dispels the most bearish view, that Facebook couldn't monetize people on phones or tablets," said Colin Sebastian, an analyst with Robert Baird & Co. "In about a six-month period they've actually started to generate decent revenues form their mobile applications."
Mobile ads generated about $150 million during Q3, compared with between $40 million and $50 million in the second quarter and next to nothing in Q1.
Many Facebook users now access the social network via mobile - 60% compared to 37% a year ago. During September, approximately 126 million MAU accessed Facebook only via mobile devices, up from 24% in June.
Zuckerberg, who says mobile is the "most misunderstood aspect" of the company, emphasized that as consumers abandon desktops in favor of mobile devices, mobile revenues will continue to rise.
Overall ad revenue rose 36% to $1.09 billion in Q3, up 28% on the previous quarter.
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
- Trends to watch for video in 2017
- 78% of over-55s uncomfortable with concept of stores run by robots
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...