News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook shares rise after positive mobile ad revenue report
It's been a tough year for Facebook after a disappointing IPO and second quarter results. But things are looking up for the social network after the latest mobile ad revenue figures were revealed earlier this week.
Facebook's stock fell 39% since the IPO in May but, after reporting that it now gets 14% of ad revenues from mobile advertising, the share price is going in the right direction for investors.
"This certainly dispels the most bearish view, that Facebook couldn't monetize people on phones or tablets," said Colin Sebastian, an analyst with Robert Baird & Co. "In about a six-month period they've actually started to generate decent revenues form their mobile applications."
Mobile ads generated about $150 million during Q3, compared with between $40 million and $50 million in the second quarter and next to nothing in Q1.
Many Facebook users now access the social network via mobile - 60% compared to 37% a year ago. During September, approximately 126 million MAU accessed Facebook only via mobile devices, up from 24% in June.
Zuckerberg, who says mobile is the "most misunderstood aspect" of the company, emphasized that as consumers abandon desktops in favor of mobile devices, mobile revenues will continue to rise.
Overall ad revenue rose 36% to $1.09 billion in Q3, up 28% on the previous quarter.
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...