News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Chinese food e-commerce company plans 1,000 AR stores
One thousand empty stores are opening across China as Yihaodian prepares to launch a chain of 1,000 virtual supermarkets. No trolleys or baskets are needed, just a smartphone with augmented reality technology.
China's biggest food e-commerce site, Yihaodian, plans to install 1,000 virtual supermarkets across the country. Called "Unlimited Yihaodian", the stores will be empty and take advantage of existing blank city spaces.
The stores aren't centered around QR Codes, only a smartphone with augmented reality technology can bring the product lines to life.
The sites will be smaller than most major Chinese supermarkets in large cities, but they will 'virtually' stock about 1,000 products. The first shops are scheduled to open in Guangzhou and Shenzhen, in southern China.
In crowded China, the virtual stores will do away with queuing or finding items out of stock and, of course, negate the need to carry shopping back home. Users may also find the experience of traipsing around a store far less tedious and engaging than clicking away on an e-commerce website.
This isn't the food e-commerce firm's first foray into virtual stores. Last year, Yihoadian placed posters in various locations in the Shanghai underground which enabled commuters to do their food shopping on the way home via taking photos of products they wanted on their smartphone.
Earlier this year, China's Ministry of Commerce approved Wal-Mart's plan to increase its stake in Yihaodian making the U.S. retailer the controlling shareholder, albeit with certain restrictions.
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
- Expert: How to better leverage content via mobile
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....