News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Chinese food e-commerce company plans 1,000 AR stores
One thousand empty stores are opening across China as Yihaodian prepares to launch a chain of 1,000 virtual supermarkets. No trolleys or baskets are needed, just a smartphone with augmented reality technology.
China's biggest food e-commerce site, Yihaodian, plans to install 1,000 virtual supermarkets across the country. Called "Unlimited Yihaodian", the stores will be empty and take advantage of existing blank city spaces.
The stores aren't centered around QR Codes, only a smartphone with augmented reality technology can bring the product lines to life.
The sites will be smaller than most major Chinese supermarkets in large cities, but they will 'virtually' stock about 1,000 products. The first shops are scheduled to open in Guangzhou and Shenzhen, in southern China.
In crowded China, the virtual stores will do away with queuing or finding items out of stock and, of course, negate the need to carry shopping back home. Users may also find the experience of traipsing around a store far less tedious and engaging than clicking away on an e-commerce website.
This isn't the food e-commerce firm's first foray into virtual stores. Last year, Yihoadian placed posters in various locations in the Shanghai underground which enabled commuters to do their food shopping on the way home via taking photos of products they wanted on their smartphone.
Earlier this year, China's Ministry of Commerce approved Wal-Mart's plan to increase its stake in Yihaodian making the U.S. retailer the controlling shareholder, albeit with certain restrictions.
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
- How dark social can impact brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...