News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British marketers baffled by display advertising acronyms
Do you know your RTB from your SSP? A poll conducted among 120 marketers at ad:tech London last month reveals that many struggle to understand acronyms used by those in the online display ad industry.
Do you know what the acronyms RTB, DSP and SSP refer to? If not, you're not alone.
According to display marketing firm Adform's poll, less than a third (32%) of marketers understand the acronym RTB (real-time bidding), despite a growth of 513% in the buying mechanism in the UK over the past year.
Furthermore, not even one quarter of marketers recognized the term DSP (demand side platform) and few (18%) knew that SSP stands for supply side platform.
"While online display advertising has recently been the subject of great growth, these figures show that the industry is at risk of isolating itself from the rest of the digital marketing industry," says Gustav Mellentin, CEO at Adform, on the company's blog.
"This is concerning, especially when you consider some of the fantastic advances that are coming out of the space. Display specialists need to ensure that acronyms don't get in the way of accessible solutions that help achieve marketing goals and enable advertisers to run better campaigns."
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
- Online shoppers overwhelmed by choice
- Smartwatches: time for a new ad format
- Translation challenges stymying online communication
- Mobile Roundup: Commerce, security options released
- Playlists the perfect target for brands on Spotify
- 25% of SMBs have no website
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...