News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Belly Band: Traditional print ad gets digital makeover
A popular print advertising format has become the latest to get the digital treatment. Popular Science is wooing advertisers with a new take on the 'belly band', due to appear on the cover of November's edition.
In the print world, a 'belly band' ad format is hard to ignore. The paper ad is wrapped around a magazine and has to be removed, by tearing or sliding off, before the publication can be opened.
According to a report in Mobile Marketer, chemicals company BASF will be the first to use the digital belly band format on November's issue. Popular Science's 70,000 or so iPad subscribers will see an animated ad from BASF across the cover page and, once it has ended, they must touch the ad unit to remove the belly band and gain access to the magazine.
"It shows how publishers are continuing to try to innovate in delivering new and interesting ad units for the tablet space," said Chantal Tode, associate editor on Mobile Marketer, "and that some of the best ideas may come from a digital revision to some of the best print ad executions."
Since the belly band, once watched, is 'removed' from a digital publication, it is important that an advertiser reinforce their message with an ad within the publication, and that's as true for print as it is mobile. Mobile Marketer reports that the BASF belly band ad came as part of a package, and that they also have the first ad placement inside the magazine.
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...