News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2012: A vintage year for Amazon?
Amazon.com has tried to make the move into wine sales a couple of times over the last decade or so. Could their latest attempt be third time lucky?
In 1999, Amazon.com purchased a 45% stake in Wineshopper.com for $30 million, but that business closed a year later.
In 2008, Amazon.com revisited wine sales and even advertised for a Senior Wine Buyer. At the time, it was reported that the online retailer would be working with New Vine Logistics, a Napa-based company that handles wine fulfillment, to ship to around 26 U.S. states. Financial difficulties scuppered this attempt.
Reports on the Wine Industry Insight website and in the Wall Street Journal this weekend uncork Amazon's wine-selling ambitions once more. With more than 5,000 wineries in the U.S., and at least one in every state, Amazon has no shortage of suppliers.
According to Wine Industry Insight, Amazon wants vintners to pay a fee of $39.99 per month to be part of the program, plus a 15% commission. Furthermore, participants may have to handle their own shipping.
Amazon is keeping schtum about its plans, for now. Similarly, attendees of recent meetings held in Napa and Sonoma are subject to non-disclosure agreements.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Amazon's wine marketplace would be open for business "in the coming weeks", just in time for the Christmas shopping rush.
The move gives smaller wineries greater exposure, but some argue that selling wines via Amazon is too impersonal and a harder environment in which to get across a brand experience, a vital part of a consumer's decision-making process.
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...