News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Zynga game loses 96,000 players in Facebook fake account sweep
Facebook's crack-down on fake account and 'Likes' sees some pages lose tens of thousands of Fans.
Last month, Facebook has updated its integrity system to automatically detect and delete 'fake' Likes, benefiting both the brands that use the site and the social network's users.
"When a Page and fan connect on Facebook, we want to ensure that connection involves a real person interested in hearing from a specific Page and engaging with that brand's content," said Facebook on its Security Page. "As such, we have recently increased our automated efforts to remove Likes on Pages that may have been gained by means that violate our Facebook Terms."
According to TechCrunch, that process has now begun. As a consequence, some Pages have seen Fan counts drop.
The biggest drop in Fans was for Zynga's Texas Hold'em game, with over 96,000 of its 65 million players gone. Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber and Michael Jackson's Pages all have thousands of casualties.
"On average, less than 1% of Likes on any given Page will be removed, providing they and their affiliates have been abiding by our terms," says Facebook. "While we have always had dedicated protections against each of these threats on Facebook, these improved systems have been specifically configured to identify and take action against suspicious Likes."
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...