News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
yStats: Half of physical stores in UK to close by 2020
As the number of Internet users in the UK continues to grow, so does the number of people shopping online. According to new figures released by Germany-based market researchers yStats, online and mobile shopping channels could force the closure of many physical stores.
The number of people shopping online in the UK rose from two-thirds in 2010 to more than 70% last year, and continues to grow. That figure is above the EU average of less than half, says yStats in its latest "UK B2C E-Commerce Report 2012".
Food and fashion are the most popular online purchases. Revenues from online food sales are expected to grow more than 10% annually over the next few years as consumers become more at ease with the process. Similarly, fashion and clothing sales online are up with almost half of UK consumers making at least one purchase per month in this category.
Daily deal websites, such as Groupon, KGB Deals and LivingSocial, are very popular in the UK as consumers keep a wary eye on their purse-strings. Four million daily deals coupons were sold in the first quarter of 2012 generating almost $325 million.
Such is the popularity of online, and mobile, shopping that yStats estimates half of physical stores in the UK will close by 2020.
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...