News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Why brands need to think outside the Boomer box
New data out from Nielsen NeuroFocus indicates typical targeting methods may not be working when it comes to brands trying to reach the Boomer demographic. In fact, the data shows reaching these mature consumers takes more balanced and attentive marketing campaigns.
For example, studies show mature brains are more emotionally balanced - this means ads targeted on an emotional basis may not have the impact on Boomers'. Instead, brands should focus ads on the benefits of a product or service - how that product will improve something for the user - rather than what could be lost if a product isn't used.
"Although mature brains occasionally struggle with recalling information at the tip of their tongues, they actually have broader attention spans than that of their younger counterparts, allowing them to absorb more nuanced messaging. Marketers can help the Boomer brain by creating mnemonic triggers for their brand or product to make them easier to recall," writes the company.
Another finding: younger consumers and older consumers process information differently. While Boomers may be rapidly adopting tablets - just as their younger counterparts are - ads with too much 'stuff' or rapid scene changes are too busy/cluttered to be effective. While rapidly changing images can work to engage younger consumers, older consumers will tune this type of information out.
Why does this matter? According to research Boomers will spend about $7 billion in 2012 - knowing how they process information and advertising is key in how brands will fare. The right targeting, the right messaging, according to Nielsen NeuroFocus, is an important as how that messaging and targeting is relayed.
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
- Mobile offers, coupons big draw for Dads
- Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
- Report: SMBs missing out on mobile commerce
- Reports: Consumers want television everywhere
- SMBs: The marketplace is getting tougher
Featured White Papers
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Beyond Last Touch: Understanding Campaign Effectiveness
Understanding what drives customers to take action is critical to your advertising investments. However, with a flood of available metrics...