News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Why brands need to think outside the Boomer box
New data out from Nielsen NeuroFocus indicates typical targeting methods may not be working when it comes to brands trying to reach the Boomer demographic. In fact, the data shows reaching these mature consumers takes more balanced and attentive marketing campaigns.
For example, studies show mature brains are more emotionally balanced - this means ads targeted on an emotional basis may not have the impact on Boomers'. Instead, brands should focus ads on the benefits of a product or service - how that product will improve something for the user - rather than what could be lost if a product isn't used.
"Although mature brains occasionally struggle with recalling information at the tip of their tongues, they actually have broader attention spans than that of their younger counterparts, allowing them to absorb more nuanced messaging. Marketers can help the Boomer brain by creating mnemonic triggers for their brand or product to make them easier to recall," writes the company.
Another finding: younger consumers and older consumers process information differently. While Boomers may be rapidly adopting tablets - just as their younger counterparts are - ads with too much 'stuff' or rapid scene changes are too busy/cluttered to be effective. While rapidly changing images can work to engage younger consumers, older consumers will tune this type of information out.
Why does this matter? According to research Boomers will spend about $7 billion in 2012 - knowing how they process information and advertising is key in how brands will fare. The right targeting, the right messaging, according to Nielsen NeuroFocus, is an important as how that messaging and targeting is relayed.
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...