News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Walmart's local store Facebook Page network a flop?
Almost a year ago, Walmart announced the launch of thousands of local store Facebook Pages to enhance local interaction. Recent research by social analytics provider Recommend.ly has found that this tactic has not yet paid off for the retail giant.
When Walmart's main Facebook Page reached 9 million fans last year, the retail giant decided to go local by opening up 3,500 individual Facebook Pages for their local stores. The idea was to further build on the company's brand loyalty with "enhanced local interaction at an unprecedented scale".
However, this move appears to have failed spectacularly, according to Recommend.ly's research. Just 4% of the local Pages have attracted more than 1,000 fans in the last 11 months. The failure is further illustrated by the fact that 22% of small businesses on Facebook have managed to attract more than 1,000 Fans.
Meanwhile, Walmart's not-so-local main Facebook Page continues to do well at engaging consumers, with almost 22 million Fans.
Could the lack of success of local Pages be due to Walmart's centralized approach to content creation and distribution? Small, local businesses need local teams to provide local content and communication. Instead, it appears Walmart are too controlling of their brand messaging and aren't allowing local store owners to guide the conversation.
"Essentially, the content they are using on the local pages does not resonate with local fans," said Venkata Ramana, CEO of Recommend.ly. "And their number of Fans is really small, and also we are finding, unlike the main page, that comments back from Walmart that address Fan inquiries are really low."
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...