News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
U.S.: Mobile, digital gamers outnumber video-console gamers
The number of gamers playing on smartphones and tablets now outnumber "hardcore" video-console gamers, according to new figures released this week by The NPD Group.
An estimated 211.5 million gamers in the U.S. play video games. However, their numbers are dropping. This year has seen a 5% decline (12 million gamers) compared to last year.
Furthermore, core gamers, those who play video games on consoles, no longer represent the key gamer segment, found The NPD Group.
The new study, "Gamer Segmentation 2012: The New Faces of Gamers", reveals that mobile and digital gamers together now represent the largest gamer segment.
The percentage of gamers who play mainly on smartphones or other mobile devices grew by 9% to 22% of US gamers, while the core gamer group dropped to 21% of the total.
However, despite the rise in mobile and digital gamers, this segment doesn't spend much money and it's the core gamers that continue to keep the industry going, says The NPD Group. Core gamers spend, on average, $65 per game, far more than mobile or digital gamers.
"Given the long lifecycles of the current consoles and the increasing installed base of smartphones and tablets, it's not surprising to see a slight decline in the Core Gamer segment," said Anita Frazier, industry analyst, The NPD Group.
"It's the revenue contribution of the Core Gamer segment that continues to outpace all other segments, and remains vital to the future of the industry."
- Top 3 tips to ensure content is global-ready
- Survey: SMBs missing out by not being online
- Report: State of mobile travel
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...