News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
U.S.: Mobile, digital gamers outnumber video-console gamers
The number of gamers playing on smartphones and tablets now outnumber "hardcore" video-console gamers, according to new figures released this week by The NPD Group.
An estimated 211.5 million gamers in the U.S. play video games. However, their numbers are dropping. This year has seen a 5% decline (12 million gamers) compared to last year.
Furthermore, core gamers, those who play video games on consoles, no longer represent the key gamer segment, found The NPD Group.
The new study, "Gamer Segmentation 2012: The New Faces of Gamers", reveals that mobile and digital gamers together now represent the largest gamer segment.
The percentage of gamers who play mainly on smartphones or other mobile devices grew by 9% to 22% of US gamers, while the core gamer group dropped to 21% of the total.
However, despite the rise in mobile and digital gamers, this segment doesn't spend much money and it's the core gamers that continue to keep the industry going, says The NPD Group. Core gamers spend, on average, $65 per game, far more than mobile or digital gamers.
"Given the long lifecycles of the current consoles and the increasing installed base of smartphones and tablets, it's not surprising to see a slight decline in the Core Gamer segment," said Anita Frazier, industry analyst, The NPD Group.
"It's the revenue contribution of the Core Gamer segment that continues to outpace all other segments, and remains vital to the future of the industry."
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...