News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
U.S.: Mobile, digital gamers outnumber video-console gamers
The number of gamers playing on smartphones and tablets now outnumber "hardcore" video-console gamers, according to new figures released this week by The NPD Group.
An estimated 211.5 million gamers in the U.S. play video games. However, their numbers are dropping. This year has seen a 5% decline (12 million gamers) compared to last year.
Furthermore, core gamers, those who play video games on consoles, no longer represent the key gamer segment, found The NPD Group.
The new study, "Gamer Segmentation 2012: The New Faces of Gamers", reveals that mobile and digital gamers together now represent the largest gamer segment.
The percentage of gamers who play mainly on smartphones or other mobile devices grew by 9% to 22% of US gamers, while the core gamer group dropped to 21% of the total.
However, despite the rise in mobile and digital gamers, this segment doesn't spend much money and it's the core gamers that continue to keep the industry going, says The NPD Group. Core gamers spend, on average, $65 per game, far more than mobile or digital gamers.
"Given the long lifecycles of the current consoles and the increasing installed base of smartphones and tablets, it's not surprising to see a slight decline in the Core Gamer segment," said Anita Frazier, industry analyst, The NPD Group.
"It's the revenue contribution of the Core Gamer segment that continues to outpace all other segments, and remains vital to the future of the industry."
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...